Find the answer to your Linux question:
Here is my problem that I couldn't resolve : Computer directly plugged to the router When my computer boots there is no problem, except one thing, the network doesn't work. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network Issue

Here is my problem that I couldn't resolve :

Computer directly plugged to the router
    When my computer boots there is no problem, except one thing, the network doesn't work. My led on the network card keeps blinking until I stop the network's service. Then when it is stopped, the led stops blinking and is ON. When I start the network's service, my network is functional.

Computer plugged to the switch
    When my computer boots, the network is functional.

Please note that DHCP is disabled on my router and that others computers (Windows Xp Pro and Windows 2000) that are directly plugged to the router or via the switch works perfectly.

Does anyone has had this problem ?

Linux Enthusiast
    The port you are using on the router, it isn't an uplink port is it? What type of router is it? Have you checked the cable to ensure that it is not the issue, when you plug in your Windows box(s) to the router, are you using the same port? If you aren't using DHCP, is your TCP/IP settings correct on the Linux box - making sure, even though you said that it works via the switch. Have you ruled out a bad network port on the router? Several issues may be possible here; however, you post is a tad sketchy.

Just Joined!
    - Network cable GOOD
    - Network configuration ( both on computer and router ) GOOD

The problem is that after a reboot the network on my computer doesn't work until I stop the network's service, wait for a few seconds, and then start the network's service. At this point, the network works perfectly. This case happens when my computer is plugged directly to the router

However, when my computer is plugged to the switch (and the switch is plugged to the router), my network on my computer works after a reboot. I'm not obligated to restart the network's service in order to make it works.

Just Joined!
    Yes, I finally fixed the problem. The problem was that my network card is using the tulip driver. This driver has the autonegociating function enabled by default then it looks like that my router doesn't like that my linux box negotiate too. So I force my network card to be 100BaseT.

Inasmuch I'm running the 2.4 kernel, I add the following line to my /etc/modules.conf file : "options tulip options=3". Then I reload the tulip module and it's works perfectly

Thanks to everyone,
    Mathieu