Find the answer to your Linux question:
For a while now my router/mail server/etc etc computer has ben having problems with making ppp connection from a terminal, adn i was having to use kppp to make it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

terminal based ppp program

For a while now my router/mail server/etc etc computer has ben having problems with making ppp connection from a terminal, adn i was having to use kppp to make it connect, which was acceptable coz i always have at least 1 computer loaded into linux so i can run it via ssh from there, however one of my new flatmaets only has windows, (no this is not fixable right now, i ahve to wait till he leaves for a few hours ) and so running kppp from a ssh login returns "cannot connect to X server", meaning he cant turn the internet on/off.

i tried using linuxconf to set up ppp0 but it doesnt seem to work, ifconfig ppp0 says device not found and ifup ppp0 dials fine and sounds like it is connecting but once it has connected it just sits there for about 20 seconds then drops the connection (it never become ussable) and says error 8, which is pretty much "generic failure".

wvdial doenst work either but is slightly more descriptive, the logs from it show it gets "connect 115200" from my isp but then it does the same drop connection thing as before, but fails on error code 10: "The PPP negotiation failed, that is, it didn't reach the point
    where at least one network protocol (e.g. IP) was running."

so i either want this to work from a terminal, or access to an X server from windows (without cygwin etc). jsut a way to send X output to a remote X server would do, then i could just make kppp run on the server.

Linux Guru
    Admittedly, I've never used PPP in Linux, but I've read that Linux too supports an auto-dial feature with a timeout or something that disconnects when it's been idle long enough. I don't know how to set it up, but you might want to check it out. Also, if noone else can respond, check the PPP howto on tldp.

Linux Engineer
    ive had a look thru the doc that came with my distro, which are admitedly a few years old but they didnt help much. i have a feeling its not authenticating itself to my isp. The reason for this i think, is my isp uses CHAP authentication but practiacally everything refers to PAP passwords etc. (except kppp, which works)

my next guess is to go looking for a a thing called rp3 which my doc files said was good for configuring ppp. its supposedly redaht only but mandrake (yes i use it ) is pretty close so it should work.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    right, got it all sorted

used the stuff in this link to some extent if someone else has problems.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/BTI-PPP/index.html

it seems the problem was that it was defaulting to pap authentication. and everyones favourite mandrake wizards taht used to work dotn anymore because since 9.1 they load kppp by default instead of using scripts.