Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Yes you can alias if you mean you want one machine with one NIC to have 2 IP address. As i said look into aliasing here . EDIT: It looks ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Yes you can alias if you mean you want one machine with one NIC to have 2 IP address. As i said look into aliasing here.

EDIT: It looks like you can do it with iptables which is the preferd method now as far as ive read, Maybe have a look into that.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, you can do that. Like Giro said, it's done with aliasing.

However, to me that's a rather strange thing to do. Would you mind if I asked why you want to do this?

Linux User

why

dolda - in the first post he said he wants one for sending mail. (whatever that means)

virgil66ro: if you have a static IP then you will/can/should set up DNS. The DNS records for your zone (eg virgil66ro.com) would contain the standard pointers to your pc and one MX record which points people to the mail server. Since mail is sent and delivered on specific ports there is no need to have a special IP address for email serving. In fact most small companies only have one server for web, mail, ftp etc.

Are you trying to setup something this complex for a purpose or are you just playing around?

Post a message describing what your aims of this project are. what the end result is going to be and then maybe we can help point you at a simpler solution.

In terms of cable modems. most cable companies will let you plug a hub in to the modem and then plug all your nics into that. however if you have two static ips then just configure the NIC to have two ip addresses.

Basically you set up the hardware NIC. then add two ethernet devices eth0 & eth1 each pointing at the same NIC. Through the GUI that ships with RH/Fedora this is really easy.

try the GUI that ships with your distro
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Guru
    Well, I did see that he wanted one for sending mails, but that is what made me so curious. Why would you want another IP address to send mails from?

Just Joined!
    Because hotmail.com and msn.com, is filtering my ip.
    Why they filter my ip?.... I don't know.

Linux User

filtering

I take it you mean they have blocked your IP from accessing their sites.

This is different. Do you want to access an internet mail account via one IP address and use the other for different stuff?

Why not just release the first IP address and use the second only?
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Guru
    Oh, is that the reason? In that case, I'm really not sure that it will help. It rather more seems that MSN is blocking more or less all personal ISP IPs, so getting another one just might not help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2