Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Is this posible? I have 1 cable modem, and 1 server. I need 2 static IP: 1 for my domain, and 1 to be used only for sending mail. Can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

2 IP, 2 eth, 1 computer

Is this posible?

I have 1 cable modem, and 1 server. I need 2 static IP: 1 for my domain, and 1 to be used only for sending mail.

Can it be done? How can it be done?
    Please help me.

thank's

Linux Guru
    If you mean that you want to have to IP addresses that are accessible from the internet at large, then you'll have to negotiate it with your ISP.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I already talked with my ISP, and he already reserved me the second IP. The question is:

What can I use this second IP?
    I have only one server, 1 cable modem, and 2 ethernet card. What shall I must buy?

Or, Can I configure somehow my server?

Thank's

Linux Guru
    I see. Then, it all depends on how you want to use the IP address. Would you mind describing it a bit more in detail, as well as the physical setup?

As far as getting them both online, all you need is a switch or hub. This will plug into the cable modem and give you at least 4 more ports for other computers. You would then plug both your NICs into two of these ports and voila!

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    actually, my mom works for the cable company and said that a cable modem *can* pull two IP addresses.. how you obtain and use the second one is up to you to figure out.. i think sarumont is right in saying that you need a hub or switch.. i think maybe even a router would work.. just as long as you could get both ethernet cards connected to the cable modem.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

A router would, though, give both NICs the same IP address as viewed by the Internet, though they would have different internal addresses.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Guru
    Only a NAT router. If you configure a Linux router it could route all the packets through unmodified, like most routers on the internet do.

Is this posible?

I have 1 cable modem, and 1 server. I need 2 static IP: 1 for my domain, and 1 to be used only for sending mail.

Can it be done? How can it be done?
    Please help me.
    Yes,

Depends on what you want; Do you want a dedicated server running as firewall between your own network and the internet ?

What you will have here is a Linux machine that functions as mail router, firewall and if you like, WWW host.
    Make sure U enable package forwarding and activate IPTables BEFORE starting you connection to the 'big bad' internet.

A small drawing.

'Big Internet' --<-->---- [ Router/Firewall ] --<--->--- [ Linux Machine with Firewall, Email, etc ] --<-->--- [ Internal Network ]

To enable this u will need the following.

1) Switch/Hub. (4+ ports)
    2) Two NIC's for Linux firewall and then a NIC for each computer on the internal network.
    3) Enough cable to connect them all.
    4) A Linux Distro.
    5) A Router, in this case you Cable Modem.

Are you sure about the second IP on you Cable connection ?????
    Not many providers allow this.... As fas as I know...
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    I am sorry, but it seems I can' explain well what I want.

I want that both static IP to be gestionated by the same computer.

Can this be done?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast