Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using ndiswrapper to install a windows driver on my linux partition, so I can connect to my router on linux and use the internet there. When I use this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

.inf install

I'm using ndiswrapper to install a windows driver on my linux partition, so I can connect to my router on linux and use the internet there. When I use this in Konsole I get:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -i /home/Francis/Desktop/Driver/Autorun.inf
    It all installs fine, but when I test it I get:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    autorun is not a valid driver!
    Does anyone know how to sort the problem I'm getting here?
    (FYI, I'm using a UR055g: 802.11 b/g 2.4GHz Wireless INEXQ device, if that helps).

autorun is the file which tells teh cd to startup in windows, it is not the driver.

look for another inf file on the cd you are using and try that. or look here for a driver.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Right, I've found the right .inf (actually it's a .in_, but it says it should work) and I (should have) installed it correctly, following these instructions:
    * Chipset: Atmel at76c503-rfmd
    * pciid: 050d:0050
    * Driver: Belkin [33]
    * Other: Download the driver. Extract to a new directory using unzip. Extract the CAB files (DATA1.CAB, DATA1.HDR, DATA2.CAB) using "unshield x" . cd Drivers/WINXP . edit bkusb.in_ and uncomment the CopyFile.XP.Sys section. Run ndiswrapper -i bkusb.in_ as root followed by ndiswrapper -m . modprobe ndiswrapper. ifdown wlan0. ifup wlan0 and you are there.

Once I did that, and I tested it, I typed in konsole:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    Drivers present
    bkusb.in_ is not a valid driver!
    Anyone know WHY this isn't working, or has had the same problem? Thanks for any posts!
    (FYI, I was at the uncommect CopyFile.XP.sys part, finished that and installed it).
    (Oh, and I also changed the device, it's now a belkin F5D6050).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    "bkusb.in_" won't work, you must use "bkusb.inf".
    Is it a usb-wireless? You can better choose for PCI or PCMCIA (for a laptop)

There was no .inf, just .in_, and it also says to use that, so do you know where I can get the right .inf, or where to find it?

did you uncomment the CopyFile.XP.Sys. The instructions are a little nondescript but I looked at that file and there are multiple instances of this section that are commented out. I would trying commenting them all out. (just remove the ; signal)

also you could try renaming the file to something like:

bkusb.inf

just do

cp bkusb.in_ bkusb.inf

then doing the modprobe part
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL