Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok guys I am trying out CentOS for the main purppose of running Nagios. A network monitoring tool. Now here is my HUGE issue. I have it behind a router ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Can see internal Network But Can't See Past Router

Ok guys I am trying out CentOS for the main purppose of running Nagios. A network monitoring tool. Now here is my HUGE issue. I have it behind a router and everything I have tryed has faild on the router and the box. I can ping my internal network with ease and even ssh into the box on the local network. But as soon as I try to ping outside of the network such as google.com I can't get passed the router. When I did a traceroute all I hit was the router and then it just timedout from there on. I have been trying to figure this out for the past 8 hours and am getting a bit pissed at this box. So my resolv.conf has the right DNS info and everything. When I do a route all my routes are right I have the ones for the router and thats it. This box is setup just like my Mandriva 10.1 box and the mandriva has no issues. So any ideas? I'm lost and just can't figure this out.

So you can't do that :
    Code:
    ping www.linuxforums.org
    But can you do this?
    Code:
    ping 67.15.52.42
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    No I can't ping google.com or any outside address. I can only ping IPs on my internal network such as 192.168.X.X. when I traceroute to say linuxforums.org I hit the router and then stop. Meaning I get 1 hop to the router then the connection timesout untill I ctrl C. I may be swaping out to Fedora 5 just to be rid of this issue.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Can you give more details as of what kind of network configuration you are using? Is your router DHCP enabled? Or do you want to assign your machine a static IP? Does all the other computers connected to it work?

Also if you use a router, the DNS is setup in it. And the content of /etc/resolv.conf should be something like
    Code:
    search
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
    given that 192.168.0.1 is your router address.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    I got it fixed all in all it was a stupid Router firmware issue. I upgraded the firmware and all is well. Decided to still go with fedora 5 just for the fact that I've had better luck with it in the past. Thanks for the input.

agree

I agree with that decision my friend, just use fedora if u are going to use the nagios..