Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I hope that one or all of you can help. I currently dial up to the internet using a windows xp box and BT Voyager 100 USD modem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

BT BROADBAND

Hi guys,

I hope that one or all of you can help.

I currently dial up to the internet using a windows xp box and BT Voyager 100 USD modem and BT Broadband.

However I have been playing around with Linux for some months now and I have built a linux File Server using redhat9 as well as a home intranet.

I would now like to only use Linux to dial up to the net. I know that the BT Voyager Modems aren't compatable with Linux. Could some one point me either in the right direction of a RED HAT 9 compatible modem. Or should I just install a router?

Cheers

It would save you a lot of trouble to just get a router/switch/hub, but if you want to get another modem, check RH's website and they'll have a hardware compatibility list for ya.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux User

draytek

I use BT broadband and have set up draytek routers for a few clients they are excellent.

check out this one. http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...&ProductID=725

they are really cool. web based admin, telnet & ftp interfaces. 4 port switch, NAT, DynDNS, VPN (a million different types), DHCP.

to configure on linux plug in adsl cable (throw cheap crap modem in bin) , plugin cat 5 cable -> PC, turn on router, turn on PC (network set for DHCP) when booted point web browser @ http://192.168.1.1 goto Internet access setup enter BT username and password, click the autodetect settings button. wait 3 seconds and your done.

most recommended. There are cheaper ones about but i really like this company. an earlier model - which I used at home for a while actually plugged in to the BT adsl modem via USB. you had to build a config file in windows by running this progran and then connecting/disconnecting your modem. It recorded what you did so it could do it when you wanted to access the net. very clever stuff!
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

BT BROADBAND

Thanks guys I have now purchased a new router and eagerly wait for its arrival.

One last question though. Any tips on buildinga linux mail server that can dial out to my ISP and collect mail and also allow me to use Outlook on a windows machine I have.

Linux User

email

yes. you can use sendmail and fetchmail to act as a local postoffice. comptible with outlook email functions only.

http://ranjitmathew.tripod.com/phartz/intranet/
    the link above is quite good for setting up stuff like that. it goes through setting up a small office network and provides pointers to the relevent howto docs that you will need.

good luck
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!
    excellent thanks

I have checked it out and is just what I need. Great.....

WINDOWS SUCKS>>>>>>