Find the answer to your Linux question:
Upon opening the 'Local Network' link on my desktop, i get this error message. Internal Error Please send a full bug report at http://bugs.kde.org libsmbclient reported an error, but didn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Samba

Upon opening the 'Local Network' link on my desktop, i get this error message.
    Internal Error
    Please send a full bug report at http://bugs.kde.org
    libsmbclient reported an error, but didn't specify what the problem is. This might indicate a severe problem with your network - but also might indicate a problem with libsmbclient.
    If you want to help us, please provide a tcpdump of the network interface while you try to browse (be aware that it might contain private data, so don't post it if you're unsure about that - you can send it privately to the developers if they ask for it)
    The network has worked perfectly ok before, then i got this message, then it worked again, now it's comin up with it again. Any ideas?

Linux Engineer
    Try using either 'smbmount' or 'smbclient' to see if you can repeat this problem. From the error, it seems like libsmbclient is the prbolem and you might want to update it but I think it's best to narrow down the problem and identify the exact source of it.
    The best things in life are free.

use smbmount and smblclient how? on other computers? All other computers on my network work fine, i jus can't access the network for some reason.

Linux Engineer
    Hold on.. I'm thinking that you can't use Samba within Linux. Can you tell us exactly what's going on?
    The best things in life are free.

Right, i'm in halls at uni, and i've setup a network so we can all share our broabdband connection. I recently installed SuSE 9.0, and the network worked fine! I could see everyone else's computers, and after configuring samba server, everyone else could see mine. Then one day i tried to look on the network to put something on someone's machine, and it came up with the error message in the first post. So i left it a while, and a couple of day s later, the network was working fine. Now i need to put something on someone's machine again, and it doesn't. It seems to be most the time now that it doesn't work, but yet every now and then decides it will work.

Last night i even got a different mesage saying it couldn't find workgroups on my network......??

Linux User

samba windows funny

windows in a workgroup situation do funny things - they don't follow a logical pattern. there is no master WINS browser controlling things. So samba in this situation is often strange as well.

My advice: set up a domain server or use FTP.

also. ensure that the machines on the LAN aren't going to sleep.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Ah, ok! Well, i not got the time to do any of that at the moment, will just live with it as is for now! I'll bare that in mind for future networks though!! Thanx!