Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone I'm brand new here and just looking for a little help setting up BIND. Basically I'm setting up a webserver to be used at the launch of a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

BIND help needed

Hi everyone

I'm brand new here and just looking for a little help setting up BIND. Basically I'm setting up a webserver to be used at the launch of a new site. The launch is taking place in a venue with no internet access hence the need for an on site webserver. Unfortunately I won't have access to the demonstration computers before the event so cannot edit the hosts files on them, which is why I'm using BIND. Basically I want to run the nameserver to respond with its own IP address for any url. This is so that requests for the site being demonstrated are served correctly and so that requests for any other url can be handled by a different apache virtual server (just displays a page letting them know there is no internet access and redirecting to the site being demo'd). I'm completely new to BIND so have no real clue where to begin with it, hence me asking for help. So far I have all the default files so I don't think there is a need for me to post them. I'm running fedora core 5 with the latest version of BIND.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dan

Just Joined!
    So, nobody got any clues about BIND?

I've got some experience of BIND, but never to make it respond in this way. You'll also have trouble forcing your webserver to respond to any and all web addresses.

Maybe you could set this up to do a few sites by a few specific names, bookmark them, and instead of using bind for name resolution, put all the names into the /etc/hosts file to point at the IP of your choosing?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    The webserver part is easy and already done. All you need to do is set up the default site for apache and a second site for the one on demo. That way any url matching the one for the demo site is directed to that site and any other url is redirected to the default site. I can't really set it up just to give out the dns for some sites and not all as I have no idea what sites people will be browsing to, they could try to go anywhere.

Would I be able to use bind with the hosts file and put a catch all in the hosts file? Say something like:
    192.168.0.1 www.demosite.com TheSiteBeingDemonstrated
    192.168.0.1 * catchall

If I can't and I can't do it with bind either does anybody know any dns software that can do the job, I only got a couple of days to try and get this sorted now.

You could try that - back up your hosts file first and give it a go.

You might want to try your bind config with a 'zone' config that looks a bit like this:

Code:
    zone "com" IN {
       type master;
       notify no;
       file "everything.zone"
       allow-update { none; };
    };
    Then have a huge "everything.zone" file with one A record and lots and lots of CNAME's.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/