Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I am trying to make my wireless network adapters work in linux. I was reviewing this list http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz and found my adapter (a linksys WMP11 wireless-b PCI card) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting a wireless adapter to work

Hey guys, I am trying to make my wireless network adapters work in linux. I was reviewing this list http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz and found my adapter (a linksys WMP11 wireless-b PCI card) on it, so I assume it should work. I tried it but linux (Kanotix) doesnt recognize it as "wlan0" when I type "iwconfig" in the console. Am I supposed to install a PRISM driver as well?

Thanks,

Alex T

I dont think that list was ever designed to only include cards that work with Linux, and it's getting a bit out of date now. However, the good news is that Prism cards tend to work quite easily (at least, I've always found that the case, tho admitedly I've only ever used Prism GT cards).

What I've needed to do to get a Prism GT to work is to download the firmware from the Prism 54 project then copy it to /etc/firmware and /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware (those directories will be different depending on your distribution - just search for "firmware" and you should find one or two obvious directories). Then you'd create a network connection in whatever is the normal way for your distro. I honestly dont know whether you'd need to do the same with a Prism 2/2.5/3*.

Hope this helps
    Toodle-oo
    Giles
    *to be honest, the fact that the project calls itself prism54 may be a bad sign: the 802.11g cards work at 54mbps, while earlier cards (such as your 802.11b) go at 11mbps, so the name does suggest it may be for only the later cards, but I suspect it's still worth a go.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027