Find the answer to your Linux question:
Allow me to clarify I have a Linksys BEFSR41 which is connected to a cable modem via the WAN port, then from port 1 my brothers pc is connected running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need info on running one router off another???

Allow me to clarify
    I have a Linksys BEFSR41 which is connected to a cable modem via the WAN port, then from port 1 my brothers pc is connected running WinXP. On port 2 I have an ethernet cable running to my room connected to the internet port of my other router, a Linksys WRT54G, from there I would like to connect my other pc's via their ethernet ports. My problem is that anything connected to the WRT54G cannot access the internet...

Does anyone know if there are any specific settings I may have to enable/disable on the Linksys interface in order to get this thing going???
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanx...

Just Joined!
    You'll probably have to change the range on one of the routers. If they are both operating on the default of 192.168.0.x then there could be an issue there. Change one of them to allocate IP's on the 192.168.1.x range and it should help you.

Just Joined!
    Both device IP's default to 192.168.1.1....
    Do I change the second routers device IP???

Just Joined!
    Yes, change one of them to 192.168.0.1 instead. When they are on the same range they can't talk to each other, hence your problem. Change the 2nd router and you should be ok.

I'm sure you can get your existing hardware to work that way, changing the IP address range. But it would be much simpler to use a switch instead of a router in your room. Netgear sells a 5-port switch for about $30 that doesn't have anything to configure--you just plug it in and it works.

Just Joined!
    Very true, but why shell out for more hardware when you can make do with what you already have?

Linux Enthusiast
    As long as he/she doesn't plug into the (WAN) RJ-45 port it is a mare switch - assuming a consumer Linksys, Netgear, and/or Belkin. Therefore, when hooking this up to increase coverage, just plug in to one of the other ports that will in turn make this device a switch and you will not have to change the IP address scope on the DHCP allocator. This is a lot easier; however, do as you may.

Linux Enthusiast
    It's way too early and I didn't proof the above post. Please substitute "mare" with "mere." Slapping face to wake up, now.

Just Joined!
    Yeah but you will still need to change the IP settings to disable the DHCP server on the 2nd router. If you don't you will still have 2 routers with the same IP address on the same network, not a good thing. If he turned off DHCP on the 2nd router then that would be fine, but less complicated and hence less fun

Very true, but why shell out for more hardware when you can make do with what you already have?
    Very good! Spoken like a true conservative. I would be inclined to think the same way, but for all I knew you might think you had to use a router. Also, there could be some trickiness that tires you to the point you decide that your time is worth more than $30.