Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've made a lot of research on how to optimize NFS but sadly I have'nt found anything that helped me optimize my NFS server on one of my cluster. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question HowTo: Optimizing NFS ?

I've made a lot of research on how to optimize NFS but sadly I have'nt found anything that helped me optimize my NFS server on one of my cluster.

I run a 8 node cluster. Two of them are quad-2ghz cpus frontends using heartbeat + drbd NFS sharing a 250 gig. /apps mount-point to 6 backends composed of 2x1ghz backends.

The application running on the frontend is mainly doing a lot of calculations based on radar volumes scans to detect precipitations types, etc.. The resulting files are dumped in flat files under a /apps/.../db/RADAR/ directory. Under sever weather there can be has much has 10000 sub-directories under that db/RADAR/ directory.

Every backend runs 1 client / cpu (since dual cpu = 2 clients each). Theses clients simply checks for a job to run in a specific /apps/.../run directory. Theses jobs files are auto-generated scripts which calls a graphics modules which generates pretty big radar images at a relatively high resolution... (about 70 radars are being merged when doing composites images). Theses images are then stored back into a sub-directory under db/RADAR/xyz directory.

That being said, the problem is that after a few weeks the load average on the backends jumps off and graphics generation starts to slow down dramatically. The only way I can make them work at full load again is when I either reboot the backends when they slow down or simply umount and remount the /apps directory.

Every servers (frontends and backends) are sadly running a redhat 7.3... At least we upgraded the kernel to a 2.4.32 whch helps. I have tried different ways to mount my /apps filesystem from the backends to optimize NFS but it never fixed the problem... And pretty sure my problem reside in NFS tweaking.

So recently I decided to use two totally different way to export and mount the /apps files system with sadly no success (meaning that it did'nt changed much):

Here is my /etc/exports on my frontends:
    /apps 192.168.1.101(rw,async,wdelay,no_root_squash)
    /apps 192.168.1.102(rw,async,wdelay,no_root_squash)
    /apps 192.168.1.103(rw,async,wdelay,no_root_squash)
    /apps 192.168.1.104(rw,sync,no_wdelay,no_root_squash)
    /apps 192.168.1.105(rw,sync,no_wdelay,no_root_squash)
    /apps 192.168.1.106(rw,sync,no_wdelay,no_root_squash)

And here is how I mount it:
    (101-103)
    192.168.1.2:/apps /apps nfs rsize=2048,wsize=2048,hard,intr,acdirmin=1,acdirma x=2,timeo=4,retrans=9 1

(104-106)
    192.168.1.2:/apps /apps nfs rsize=2048,wsize=2048,hard,tcp,intr,noac,actimeo=1 0 1

To resume:
    - The database is compose of a lot of sub-directories (can reach 10000) and a fair amount of small files
    - 6 backends = 12 daemons checking for a graphic generation job to run.
    - About 2000 jobs being run on the backends per hour (making about 50 000 / day)

My results are:
    - Using TCP instead of UDP help to reduce the fragmented packets considerably
    - Using TCP instead of UDP increased the network traffic
    - Neither UDP or TCP using theses configurations seems to behave better
    - It's not necessary to reset the NFS server.. only resetting the client makes the backend behave normally has usuall (it's load average falls back from 7 to 2-3 when occupied with two jobs i.e. one on each cpu)

Conclusion:
    1- Even after a lot of reading, work and effort I still did not found the appropriate way to "optimize" my NFS server
    - My gigabit network might be capped... although unless I don't understand well the ntop results it seems ok?

Any body has a clue?

thnx

- vin

I had nothing but grief when we went giggie and had a mix of RH 7.3 and newer systems. Nothing I tried got things talking at top speed, consistently, to a 7.3 server. As I'm sure you've found, there are many open NFS speed issues with 7.3 - perhaps your kernel upgrade addressed some of the bad ones, but I get the feeling that's still at the base of your problems.

I completely understand that it's easy to say "just upgrade", but the powers that be just can't allow it, but I wonder if it's worth doing a test of two more recent kernels on your network to verify that the problem seems related to that kernel?

DT

Just Joined!

Unhappy

In fact, using the original 2.4.20 (which is actuall an 2.4.21-rc something) the NFS performances where even worst..

The reason I made a 2.4.32 rpm kernel and installed it everywhere was to be able to use NFS via TCP... an option not available in 2.4.20.