Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I just wanted to know what is the most secure way to connect to a solaris computer. I know this is a Unix question and should not be asked ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

Best method to connect to a solaris terminal

Hi

I just wanted to know what is the most secure way to connect to a solaris computer. I know this is a Unix question and should not be asked here, but I could not find a better place to ask.
    Thanks in advance.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

My favorite secure ways of connecting to any other system are secure shell (SSH) and TightVNC, both of which are probably in most Linux distributions. SSH gives you a shell prompt and TightVNC gives you a graphical desktop.

But you may not even need the desktop, because if SSH is configured with "X11Forwarding yes", you can start a graphical application on the remote command line and the graphical program will pop up on your local X server (the Linux machine you are sitting at).

I don't use Solaris, but I use these tools to connect to GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and Cygwin/Windows, so I'm confident they are great for Solaris too.

Oh, let me add OpenVPN too.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, apoorv_khurasia.

I do connect to Solaris and I use ssh ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Linux Enthusiast
    Download and use Putty - works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98
    Download and use Putty - works like a charm.
    I used it some years ago. As far as I remember it also used to ask for protocols to connect --ssh, telnet, raw etc. Anyways I have got my answer and ssh seems to be it. Thanks to all of you guys.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, gtmtnbiker98.

Although apoorv_khurasia didn't say from what platform he was connecting, I assumed from a Linux box to Solaris. I've used putty on Windows, but I didn't know it was available for Linux.

Is it? If so, what do you find compelling about putty that would cause you to choose it over ssh in a terminal window on *nix? ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Linux Enthusiast
    Nothing compelling - I assumed that he was connecting from a Windows box. As for connecting from a *nix box, CLI using ssh serveripaddress is the best method. To the best of my knowledge, PuTTY is a Windows application. Heck, I even have Pocket PuTTY installed on my Windows Mobile PDA while out of the office connection.

Putty also comes for Linux, although there is no real point of that, but yes it does come and is exactly similar to Windows one.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike