Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Nope. There must be an ifcfg-eth0 file in a subfolder of /etc. That file manages the connection type (IPs, DHCP,...) Try to locate it with locate ifcfg-eth0...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Nope. There must be an ifcfg-eth0 file in a subfolder of /etc. That file manages the connection type (IPs, DHCP,...) Try to locate it with

locate ifcfg-eth0
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Ok, found this at /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.eth0.leases

lease {
    interface "eth0";
    fixed-address 192.168.1.2;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    option routers 192.168.1.1;
    option dhcp-lease-time 3600;
    option dhcp-message-type 5;
    option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
    option dhcp-server-identifier 192.168.1.1;
    renew 3 2006/6/28 06:21:49;
    rebind 3 2006/6/28 06:48:39;
    expire 3 2006/6/28 06:56:09;

Thanks for your patience with me on this!

Are you sure that there was no ifcfg-eth0 file in your /etc directory? If that is the case, I start to think that your installation wasn't really a clean one. Have you checked your CDs md5sum (or shasum, whatever Ubuntu uses by default) before burning the CDs in order to make sure that you did not get a corrupt iso image? Have there been any errors reported during the installation? I ask this because there MUST be an ifcfg-eth0 or ifcfg-eth1 file on your system if you use an ethernet card on cable internet.

Sorry that this is getting so complicated...

Just as an additional information: The ifcfg-eth0 file contents should look similar to this:

DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    ONBOOT=yes
    METRIC=10
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0

I'll have another look for that file mate. I dont understand about the cd though, that seemed to install fine. When Ubuntu loads though, as it's checking off the checklist, when it gets to 'configuring network devices' it does say 'failed'

Just Joined!
    hello,

what Kojak was asking, was if you had checked your ubuntu cd for data corruption before burning (if you burned it) for data corruption using the checksum (integrity verification) tool that ubunto uses (commonly md5sum, but shasum and gpg are occaisionally used in some cases). also which version of ubuntu are you using?

i checked which tool ubuntu uses for verification, its md5sum. however due to the specific nature of the problem i do not believe this is the case.

the URL of the ubuntu 6.06 md5file (for all 6.06 cds, most will fail because you dont have that ISO, nor do you need them, but one will be the right one and hopefully it wont be corrupt). if you are not using ubuntu 6.06 this file is invalid.

http://mirror.cs.umn.edu/ubuntu-releases/6.06/MD5SUMS

Hi there, thanks for your input. I'm starting to think perhaps something was wrong with my installation, as I don't seem to be able to choose certain things from the menus anymore.

I have found the md5sum file on my instalation disc, but don't know whether this is good or bad!

here it is:

http://www.mooload.com/new/file.php?...ecksumfile.txt

I have looked again for the ifcfg-eth0 file, but I still can't find it.

I did choose the AMD64 version of Ubuntu as I have an Operton CPU, looking at the download page, it does say to choose the X86 version if at all unsure. Might it be worth giving that one a go?

No, do not use 64 bit yet, as it is still very young and known to be buggy at times. I suggest you try the following now: Download a live-CD like Kanotix and check if you can set up your network-connection there (You don't need to install Kanotix onto your harddisk for that). If that works, then it is definitely a problem with your installation and a clean install should be done with a new iso image that is not broken (I still think you got a bad download. It just happens at times).

Cheers mate, I might give it a go. I do have a live cd (from a magazine) of SUSE 10.0 - would you suggest I give this I try?

Do I need to un-install Ubuntu? or can I have several distros? I do have plenty of hard disc space.

You can have many distros side by side on one harddisk, no problem there. For a live-CD, no harddisk is needed, it will run completely out of our RAM, so there is no need to uninstall anything. Try the SUSE-live-CD.

Good luck.

Hi there, I have just give SUSE a go, and I did, very briefly, manage to get online with it. However, it seemed I could only load web pages from Novell, and when i tried others (google, ebay, bbc etc.) it just stoppped working. Then even the pages from Novell wouldn't reload!

Now, I would really like to install SUSE, but how can I sort this connection issue out? There was an icon in the tray at the bottom of the screen telling my my wired connection was active, but I still couldn't seem to load any pages.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast