Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I just bought and installed a 'proper' modem after it became clear that to try to use my old usb one (BT Voyager 105) with Ubuntu would be far too ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I'm really thick - how do I do this....?

I just bought and installed a 'proper' modem after it became clear that to try to use my old usb one (BT Voyager 105) with Ubuntu would be far too much hassle.

I'm really new to Linux, I've yet to try any stuuf from the shell etc, but I am very keen to get online. My new modem is a Safecom Guru GART2-4112. It works fine under Windows, but I'm not having any joy under Linux. The ethernet conniction is showing as active, but when I try to load any web pages, I just get a 'Looking up google' message, and that's it.

What should I be doing here guys? Please help me to convert totally to Linux!

Linux Enthusiast
    Did you attempt simple troubleshooting? What I mean is did you check the NIC and router/switch to see if you have a connectivity/activity light? If so, did you type ifconfig to see if you received valid TCP/IP settings? Have you checked your name server entries to see if your DNS entries are valid? Have you pinged your default gateway or any other node on your network? Try these and report back. Simple troubleshooting goes a long way!

Thanks for your reply mate.

All the lights are on on my modem, as for everything else:

'did you check the NIC' - What is this? how do i check it?

If so, did you type ifconfig to see if you received valid TCP/IP settings? I'll check this now & post back, i'm guessing i just type this in the shell?

Have you checked your name server entries to see if your DNS entries are valid?[ - How do I do this?

Have you pinged your default gateway or any other node on your network? - How do I do this?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, but I have been spoon-fed by Windows for years!

Please post the output of the following command, launched as root in a terminal:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

This will show us if there are valid DNS entries

NIC = Network Interface Controller = network-card/ethernet-card/wireless ethernet card

Pinging: Open a terminal, log in as root and type e.g.

ping www.google.com

If that stalls, press ctrl+c, then try e.g.

ping 217.237.149.161

If that one is positive, it is most probably only a DNS problem.

PS: Those aren't stupid questions.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Cheers for that mate, I'll try all that now. I have to keep rebooting to try these, so please bear with me!

when I typed iconfig -a i get this:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:133:C4:7F:72
    BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:217 Base address:0xe000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    LOOPBACK MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

sit0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
    NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

Ok, here are my results. I can't help but think these don't look good!

cat /etc/resolv.conf - nothing, it just goes down to the next line.

ping www.google.com -I get - ping: unknown host www.google.com

ping 217.237.149.161 I get - connect: network is unreachable

A couple of things I've just noticed;
    When Ubuntu starts loading, it goes through a list of things that all say 'ok' BUT 'configuring network devices' says 'failed'

I tried to switch user to root from the desktop, but got an error message something like: 'X window failed, perhaps it isn't configured correctly' Don't know if this is relevant or not, but probably best to mention it!

Okay, it seems as if your ethernet card cannot be brought up. First we need to know if the system detects the network card. For this, please type in a terminal again

lspci

This will list all PCI devices on your system. Paste the output of it here, so we can take a look at the hardware recognition.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!

try it

Please go to aadministrators-->Network and delete the active USB card and also NIC is available, and then click on add and follow the wizard and add the (Either NIC or USB drive) and then click on active and do not restart the service. And then try it will surely fix the issue.

Denimzam

Quote Originally Posted by seymour
    I just bought and installed a 'proper' modem after it became clear that to try to use my old usb one (BT Voyager 105) with Ubuntu would be far too much hassle.

I'm really new to Linux, I've yet to try any stuuf from the shell etc, but I am very keen to get online. My new modem is a Safecom Guru GART2-4112. It works fine under Windows, but I'm not having any joy under Linux. The ethernet conniction is showing as active, but when I try to load any web pages, I just get a 'Looking up google' message, and that's it.

What should I be doing here guys? Please help me to convert totally to Linux!

Ok here'e what I get when I type lspci:

0000:00:00.0 Memory controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 Memory Controller (rev a3)
    0000:00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 ISA Bridge (rev a3)
    0000:00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation CK804 SMBus (rev a2)
    0000:00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a2)
    0000:00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a3)
    0000:00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio C ontroller (rev a2)
    0000:00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev f2)
    0000:00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
    0000:00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
    0000:00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
    0000:00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
    0000:00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
    0000:00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
    0000:00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
    0000:00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
    0000:00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Hyp erTransport Technology Configuration
    0000:00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Add ress Map
    0000:00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRA M Controller
    0000:00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Mis cellaneous Control
    0000:01:08.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Control ler (rev 46)
    0000:05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0160 (rev a1)

Perhaps I should mention that my LAN connection is built in to my mobo - not a seperate card?

I'll try deleting the connection & following the wizard now, as suggested above. I'm willing to try anything!

I'm sure something is wrong now. I've just tried to open Newtorking from the System menu, and nothing happened. I got the message in the toolbar at the botom of the desktop that networking was opening, and then nothing. I tried this 3 or 4 times.

Should I consider re-installing Ubuntu? Or are there other things I can try?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast