Find the answer to your Linux question:
Anyone have experience running linux from compact flash media? I need to make linux machines to run OpenSwan at a few sites in my company. Since some sites have no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RE: Running linux from CF

Anyone have experience running linux from compact flash media?

I need to make linux machines to run OpenSwan at a few sites in my company. Since some sites have no IT staff, I want these machines to have very high reliability. I'm thinking that zero moving parts would increase my reliability a bit, so I went with C3 processors (no fan needed) and I'm thinking of using CF Media with IDE-CF adaptors as primary storage.

Any thoughts on what to expect from CF as primary storage, as far as performance and reliability are concerned?

well, i've never actually used compact flash as a media storage, but from what i've read its really fast. not sure about reliability though.
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

Linux Enthusiast
    I think that you are actually increasing complexity which migh decrease reliability. If you are that worried about hardware failure(s) have you considered a RAID array with redundant power supplies? That is about as reliable as you can get by today's standards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    The question really is: Does CF have a lower failure rate than rotational-disk storage?

If my guess is correct and it does have a lower failure rate, I'll sacrifice simplicity for reliability.

hrm

Just Joined!
    I read somewhere once that the memory in a CF device has a limited amount of writes before it wears out. This is not a problem for the kind of usage a CF normally goes through, but it might be in the kind of environment you intend to use it.

-fernando