Find the answer to your Linux question:
I finally compiled the 2.6 kernel correctly, updated modutils to 0.9.14, and have only two remaining problems, one of which prevents my network from working. From dmesg, I get the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network Inaccessable in 2.6 Kernel

I finally compiled the 2.6 kernel correctly, updated modutils to 0.9.14, and have only two remaining problems, one of which prevents my network from working.

From dmesg, I get the following errors:
    request_module: /sbin/modprobe -- supermount. error = 256
    request_module: /sbin/modprobe -- net-pf-10. error = 256
    request_module: /sbin/modprobe -- char-major-180-0. error = 256
    request_module: /sbin/modprobe -- char-major-180. error = 256
    request_module: /sbin/modprobe -- char-major-180-15 = 256
    request_module: /sbin/modprobe -- net-pf-10. error = 256

The odd thing is, I can get the network to function just fine after I log in and do this:
    modprobe eepro100
    ifup eth0

(and yes, lsmod doesnot show eepro100 loaded before I do this)

So if I can load the module just fine at the console, why dosn't it load at boot time? I don't think I should have to do this every time I start up the machine, I didn't when I was running the 2.4 kernel.

And the other problem, if you were wondering, was not being able to access my CD-ROM. I've traced that to the supermount error, but until I figure out what error = 256 means, I'm going nowhere fast on either of these issues.

-Josh

Re: Network Inaccessable in 2.6 Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by jheaton
    So if I can load the module just fine at the console, why dosn't it load at boot time? I don't think I should have to do this every time I start up the machine, I didn't when I was running the 2.4 kernel.
    You need to add it to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 if you havent allready

Just Joined!
    modules.autoload.d does not exist in /etc, I've already tried that step. I'm running Mandrake 9.2 if that helps

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Try /etc/modutils/arch/i386 , Or open your /etc/modules.conf and it might tell you where it is in the header.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I'll try that tonight then, after I get home. Thanks

Just Joined!
    Well, /etc/modutils dosn't exist either, and modules.conf contains just this:

alias eth0 eepro100
    probeall usb-interface usb-uhci

No header or anything.

From here -> http://ozzzy.dhis.org/kernel26.html

Migrating /etc/modprobe.conf and /etc/modprobe.preload The 2.6.0 kernel doesn't use /etc/modules.conf or /etc/modules. The new file is called /etc/modprobe.conf and you can build a new one by running the command:

/sbin/generate-modprobe.conf > /etc/modprobe.conf

You'll have to do this every time you change things while booted in the 2.4 kernel.

Linux Engineer
    did u compile autofs support into the kernel or as a module. its set to off by default.

Just Joined!
    I got it working. I had to find out that 2.6 uses modprobe.conf by digging through rc.modules, but thanks for the info. I couldn't find out why eepro100 wasn't loading on boot, so I finally just stuck it in /etc/modprobe.conf, and it works. Also, I fixed supermount by applying the supermount patch to the 2.6 kernel source, recompiled it, and everything runs just fine now.

-Josh