Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a linksys WRT54GL wireless router. Is there anyway I can use it to see how many IP addresses it is supplying - like see the computers connected to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quick router Q

I have a linksys WRT54GL wireless router. Is there anyway I can use it to see how many IP addresses it is supplying - like see the computers connected to it via wireless? It doesn't have a key (the owner doesn't want one) and sometimes outta curiosity I just wanna see if any neighbors are trying to tap in.

I have also heard that this version is based on linux, and is very hackable. How do you hack a router and why would you want to?
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

Open the router's setup page (192.168.1.1) in a Web browser and click on 'Status' (on the far right), then 'Local Network' (in the blue strip just below). There should be a button at the bottom named 'DHCP Clients Table." Clicking that will tell you who's been assigned an address by the router.

The 'Administration' section has a 'Log' page, where you can enable a log. I haven't used it so don't know if it records who has connected, but it might be able to show you if someone has been using your network.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Awesome. Weird thing though is I see my roommates IP but not mine... ?

Huh, funny that. The same thing is happening here (using a Linksys WRT54G). My laptop and my girlfriend's laptop both use DHCP, and my desktop has a static address, but only her laptop shows up in the table. I thought maybe the table just doesn't show the client that's making the query because maybe it figures that client already knows it's connected, but I went to my desktop and brought up the table, and it still only shows my girlfriend's laptop. The only thing that comes to mind is she's running MS Windows, while my machines run Linux. Is that also the case with you and your roommate?
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

It's showing me now - not sure why it wasn't showing me earlier. It shows 3 windows 2000 boxes by their 'computer name' but my client host name is blank. Kinda cool, heh.