Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear All, I am using the RH9 and i just have install it in my PC, now i want to configure it into our windows domain, but i am unable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to configure the desktop in the Windows domain?

Dear All,
    I am using the RH9 and i just have install it in my PC, now i want to configure it into our windows domain, but i am unable to do so, can you please explain me, what i should do to configure my pc in the domain? Please explain me procedure, i am somewhat new to the linux and want to learn the things, please help me.

Thanks,
    Nishant

Just Joined!
    Do you have a dhcp server in your windows domain? If so, Redhat will get an address from it during installation, unless you chose to enter one manually. You don't have to "join" the domain with linux as you do with windows, it will automatically be on the network.

-fernando

True, you don't have to join the Windows domain to use the network and connect to the internet, but if you have a Windows server or other Windows PCs you want to exchange files with, you will need to join the domain.

Make sure you have Samba installed. I'm not sure about RHL, but there are probably several RPMs: samba-common, samba-client, samba-doc. Configure it with the /etc/samba/smb.conf. (See man smb.conf. I kept mucking with it until it all worked.)

To join the 'office' domain, I used this command:
    Code:
    net ads join -S office -U Administrator
    and was prombed for the Windows server's Administrator's password, which I know. I think you can specifiy a different username if you don't know the Administrator's password.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by KenJackson
    True, you don't have to join the Windows domain to use the network and connect to the internet, but if you have a Windows server or other Windows PCs you want to exchange files with, you will need to join the domain.

Make sure you have Samba installed. I'm not sure about RHL, but there are probably several RPMs: samba-common, samba-client, samba-doc. Configure it with the /etc/samba/smb.conf. (See man smb.conf. I kept mucking with it until it all worked.)

To join the 'office' domain, I used this command:
    Code:
    net ads join -S office -U Administrator
    and was prombed for the Windows server's Administrator's password, which I know. I think you can specifiy a different username if you don't know the Administrator's password.

Dear sir,

Sorry for replying so late but i was stuck with another project, and now i ve again starting to work o this project, and yday i ve find the relative topic to configure my desktop into windows domain, and i ve found that i ve to use the samba, and i ve install same and then i also have start the samba and another option that it asks me for the admin and admin password, but the thing happen is there is no smb.conf file in my /usr/local/samba/lib file and because that, through samba i couldnt connect my desktop into the windows domain and found that the file was missing in the source of samba, from where linux is installing files into the /usr/local/samba/lib, and because of that my work is suck up, is there any ohter method or other software from which i can configure my desktop into the windows domain???

Hope for the positive reply.

Thanks,
    Nishant

If Samba is installed in /usr/local/samba/, then you probably installed it from source code or someone else's build, not the RedHat RPMs. Run the 'testparm' command to see where Samba thinks it's smb.conf file is--the first line of response should say where it is looking.

You will definitely need an smb.conf file. If you don't have one to start with, grab the distribution version from Samba. Here is the smb.com file for RedHat Linux, Samba version 3.1.0. You can select the one for your version by going to http://viewcvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/tags/, select the directory for the version of Samba you have installed, select packaging, select your distribution, and then select the number in the Rev. column beside 'smb.conf".