Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am getting sick and tired of this so called Smbfs replacement "Cifs". I have yet another error trying to mount a share on a Windows XP Pro machine. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cifs "mount error 13 = Permission denied" CIFS SUCKS

I am getting sick and tired of this so called Smbfs replacement "Cifs". I have yet another error trying to mount a share on a Windows XP Pro machine. I get an error saying "Permission denied" despite entering the right credentials:
    Code:
    mount -t cifs //hostname/share /mnt/temp -o username=someuser,password=somepassword
    mount error 13 = Permission denied
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
    I use these same credentials from another Windows machine to access that share and they work fine so instead I go back to linux and do
    Code:
    mount -t smbfs //hostname/share /mnt/temp -o username=someuser,password=somepassword
    and the share mounts successfully and I can use it, the EXACT same credentials, I just pressed up and replaced cifs with smbfs....

This is on top of other mysterious errors like "Resource temporarily unavailable" and "Input/output error" that also often occur.
    (see http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...ighlight-.html
    and http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...ighlight-.html )

Both of these also stop the share from being mounted when encountered. In both cases I also repeated the command by pressing up and replacing the word cifs with smbfs. Smbfs succeeds where Cifs failed and I can start using the share.
    Code:
    mount -t smbfs //hostname/share /mnt/temp -o username=someuser,password=somepassword
    These errors all occur against various SMB server ranging from both new and old Samba servers on various distributions of Linux, to Windows 2000 and XP workstations, so the remote machines can't be to blame when smbfs works at the same time.

CIFS SUCKS!

anybody else have any experiences of CIFS or any suggestions?

Linux Enthusiast
    my CIFS doesn't like netbios names; try replacing "hostname" with a DNS hostname or IP address

also you are doing this as root right?

also don't double-post

Quote Originally Posted by spoon!
    my CIFS doesn't like netbios names; try replacing "hostname" with a DNS hostname or IP address
    The addresses are all in DNS.
    also you are doing this as root right?
    of course
    also don't double-post
    I didn't double post, this and the other two errors are all separate but possibly related problems. It was only now that I'm putting them all together and saying that it's all Cifs' fault.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I have found this to be pretty reliable. I actually put it in a script that is called from /etc/rc.local:
    Code:
    OPTS=rw,dom=OURDOMAIN,user=windowsuser,uid=linuxuser
    PASSWD_FILE=/etc/smb.pw.txt mount.cifs3 //server/share /mnt/share -o $OPTS
    The /etc/smb.pw.txt file has just one line containing the Windows password for windowsuser.

that's not what we're talking about here, this is a technical problem with Cifs, not how to put in your credentials on the command line...

Well griping about an implementation isn't what this forum is about. People post questions here to get help using existing software, or to find other software and solutions.

It would be more appropriate for you to air your grievances on samba-technical email list or bugzilla. You're also more likely to get satisfying results.

actually it's not simply a gripe, I wanted to know if anybody else has had any problems and if there is something to be done about it, I will be upgrading to a new kernel at some point to see if this makes a difference...

I've got another error here now with cifs!

Code:
    mount error 20 = Not a directory
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
    But the mount point is a dirctory! I can mount another share via cifs on the same mount point!!!!!

I could make a collection of these...

Just Joined!

Late Answer

I just now joined and I know this post was from July 2006 but I figure what the hell. Someone else may come to this post looking for an answer. The reason that you received the Error 13 was because the syntax is not the same in smbfs and cifs. Here is an excerpt from /etc/fstab from an FC5 box. I know this works:

//<servername>/<share> /mnt/dir cifs auto,credentials=/etc/cred,workgroup=domain,ro

This share was mounted read only (use rw for read/write). The credentials option is for a file that holds your username and password. This is helpful if you mount more than one share. The credentials file should look like this:

username=user
    password=password

I hope this helps someone. By the way dmask and fmask changed to dir_mode and file_mode.

Actually the syntax I've used it correct. I've used
    Code:
    mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt/dir -o credentials=/path/to/file
    and this has worked fine for 100 other shares on my backup script. So why this one share complains I have no idea. I have deleted and recreated the mount dir to make sure that it was a real functioning dir that hadn't been corrupted or something. When I change the -t cifs to -t smbfs it works. But this -t cifs works for so many other machines and even for other shares on the same machine!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast