Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Samba (latest) on Kubuntu (latest) with smb4K GUI (latest version). I have a home LAN with boxes connected via a router. Only 2 boxes - the other is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba problem

I'm using Samba (latest) on Kubuntu (latest) with smb4K GUI (latest version).

I have a home LAN with boxes connected via a router. Only 2 boxes - the other is winxp32. Previously (older samba) I've been able to read my win shares on linux. Now I can't. I cannot connect - I've tried all combinations possible of domains/user names and I know my passwords are correct. Authentication doesn't work at all. All firewalls turned off too. That's using smb4K - I just cannot access any windows shares where previously I could (I had the problem before the upgrade to latest samba and latest smb4k, so I think it's upgrade unrelated).

On windows, using windows explorer, I can see my linux box, but I cannot connect. Authentication again is the problem. All possible combinations just don't get through.

Anybody else had this problem ? Any ideas anyone please ? Thanks vm

Just Joined!
    are samba authentication issues widespread: anyone else with issues ?

Just Joined!
    Here is my smb.conf file on Ubuntu 6.06: http://www.serversamples.com/view.php?sample=13

Look through it and compare it to your smb.conf. I'm running samba 3.0.22 so I'm not too sure how the conf files will compare.

Yeah, I had lots of problems getting Samba to authenticate, although I blame Windows more than Samba. I did a lot of things, and I don't know if they were all necessary. But it's all very reliable now that it's setup and working.

One thing I did that I think is necessary was adding my windows passwords into /etc/samba/secrets.tdb with this command (of course substituting your real windows username). You will be prompted for the password.

$ smbpasswd -a windowsusername

That file can be viewed with tdbdump /etc/samba/secrets.tdb, so make sure it is owned by root and mode 0600.

I also joined our office domain like this (server is Win2003):

# net ads join -S server -U Administrator