Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to Linux and have a question about the functionality of the Linux SMB client when accessing resources on a Microsoft server. At home I have installed Red Hat ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SMB - Linux

I'm new to Linux and have a question about the functionality of the Linux SMB client when accessing resources on a Microsoft server.

At home I have installed Red Hat and in using the SMB Client I can connect to shares on my home Windows 2003 Server. The Linux SMB client prompts me for name and password and I can browse the shares just like I can from a Windows client. BUT, when I go to open a file or .jpg directly out of the Windows share I receive an error msg. and the task does not complete. If howerver, I first copying the file from the Windows Share onto my Linux desktop, then the file or .jpg opens correctly.

Can anyone tell me if this is the "normal" or default behavior of the Linux Red Hat SMB client?

Thank you

Linux Engineer
    You probabley have wierd permissions on your samba share that you dont have on your ordinary linux desktop where only linux filepermissions is valid. Check your /etc/samba/smb.conf file or your permissions on your directory on the XP box depending on where you have youre share and where to access it from.

from linux to windows (Xp permissions)
    from windows to linux (/etc/samba/smb.conf Samba+linux file permisssions)
    Regards

Andutt