Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone. I have a problem here with my cifs mount point not working. I just upgraded my PC to have a terrabyte of RAID-1 storage. I named the share ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

terabyte too big to mount?

Hey everyone. I have a problem here with my cifs mount point not working. I just upgraded my PC to have a terrabyte of RAID-1 storage. I named the share the exact same as it was before, but now that I have it all up and running, I am unable to mount it on either my mac or on my linux machine. The only error that makes any sense is the one linux is giving me when I attempt to manually mount the partition through the terminal. It tells me this:

mount error 12 = cannot allocate memory

Does this mean that I have too big of a partition for my linux machine to read or something? I don't want to have to reformat my windows shared drive, though I can if that is the case. But I haven't found any solutions that make any sense. Just curious if anyone else has ever seen this error and knows what it means.

-Z

I don't think it would be a problem for your Linux box or Mac to read as I have heard of several Unix and Linux computers with multi-terabyte storage (local). Rather I think the problem may lie in the implementation of Samba or Cifs. Perhaps you should post this question to the samba or cifs devs and see what they say.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

nothing from anyone on either thread? I am surprised nobody has run into this. I have scoured the internet for info on this error and I haven't found anyone with this problem. Weird.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Just a stab in the dark dude

I found this

Code:
    =======================
    Large Directory Support
    =======================

Samba 3.0.12pre1 introduces a specific mechanism for dealing
    with file services that frequently contain a large number of files
    per directory.  Historically Samba's performance has suffered
    in such environments due to the translation from case
    insensitive lookups by Windows client to the case sensitive
    storage mechanisms used by UNIX filesystems.

Configuration details along with a short HOWTO can be found at:

http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/HOWTO/Samba-LargeDirectory-HOWTO
    source was from this link of many issues on google groups

http://groups.google.ca/group/fido7....6d4678b6f175f1

Hope this helps man

regards smp-freak

Red face

OK, this is what it ended up being. Windows was being stupid, something in the registry got deleted or changed somehow. I ended up going into my registry, and creating a file called IRP stacksize and setting a value. So stupid. The funny thing is that I have been using windows for a few years and never knew about the whole event log deal in the control panel. What a handy tool. I guess I was wondering where it listed all the errors it was having. Now I know. I was kind of worried there for a minute....