Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I've been running suse 9.2 on an old laptop for a couple years, and have used it with my dsl service for a year using dhcp, no problems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie DHCP problem

Hello all,

I've been running suse 9.2 on an old laptop for a couple years, and have used it with my dsl service for a year using dhcp, no problems to speak of.

I recently got a new laptop, running windows for the moment, along with a dsl gateway, hoping to use both computers.

Windows works fine through the gateway (sigh), but the linux machine only rarely reaches the internet, and when it does it is temporary- seems to stop working without configuring changes- and goes back to "Connection refused" messages.

I can ping the router from the linux machine, but cannot ping anything past the router, by name or by address.

Tech support for the gateway suggested setting up the linux NIC as static, but I'm not quite sure how to do that with out causing more problems than I can fix, as I don't really understand the addressing, and a trial and error approach seems risky. Here's their actual response:

"Set the NIC static including subnet, gateway IP address and DNS.
    Your kernel of LINUX may not be picking up the DNS settings correctly.
    Its not your router if the Windows systems are getting the DNS information
    correctly and getting internet."

Are they suggesting a static subnet with just the linux machine on it, and then a dhcp connection for the windows machine? I still kind of wonder why it worked before with the dsl modem and no router.

Thanks for any advice!
    John

Further update: Though I lose 100% packets pinging the internet, if I ping by name, it does comeback with the correct address. Weird.
    So it all knows where the dns is, the router is just not doing anything with packets from the linux machine.

Just Joined!

Its working for now...

Though as I don't really understand it, this may be temporary!

I could get one or the other box working with the router set to bridge, but not both, so what good would it be as a router! Reset the router/gateway, gave it a rest for a day. Only other thing I can think of is I changed the NIC device activation to "if hot plugged".

After that I was able to ping google, and telnet through port 80 to google.

Do exactly as they said. Change your NIC to be a static ip, meaning assign it's address, subnet, everything yourself.
    While the configuration files vary for most distributions, if you're using something like SuSE or Ubuntu there may be a point and click way to get to your ethernet card configurations.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I had a similar problem with my laptop running SuSE 9.?, when i first booted, it would grab an IP address so I could talk to the LAN, however, I couldn't communicate with anything on the other side of the router. My guess is that the gateway wasn't grabbed. (Not talking to the other side). I believe you said you were running SuSE 9.2, so I'll give you a couple routes to take.

As root, you can try from a terminal

Broadcast for DHCP again by typing
    dhcpcd eth0
    assuming eth0 is your main interface,
    or
    Putting in the gateway manually by typing
    route add default gw 192.168.0.1
    assuming that 192.168.0.1 is the LAN side of your router.

If this does fix your problem, through the YaST control panel, you should be able to configure your network card. You may need to add the default gateway by clicking on the "Routing" button.

I apologize if some things are inaccurate, I am doing this off the top of my head. But I do hope this helps.