Hi all,

If someone could help me in any way with this problem, I would be so appreciative, as I am at my wit's end!

I recently bought SuSE9.0 Pro from SuSE, and got everything working nicely on my laptop with some tinkering. However, I still cannot get my wireless PCMCIA card to connect. I have contacted SuSE support about it, only to be told "we don't support wireless, ask about in some Linux forums".

I am running:

System: Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop
wlan0: SMC2632W PCMCIA card
Wireless router: LinkSys BEFW11S4 V2/V3

The card works under XP. Not tried it under other Linux O/S. It was discovered and correctly identified under SuSE from the outset. The light on the card flashes constantly, indicating it is working hardware-wise (inasmuch as SuSE has found it and is trying to get it to probe for a WLAN connection) but it never manages to connect to the router. If I set it to auto (DHCP) it never connects and gives a MAC address of the Wireless Access Point as 44:44:44:44:44:44 (meaning it cannot determines the Wireless Access Point). If I set it to manual configuration, although I then have the correct ifconfig, I still cannot route to the the wireless router (cannot even ping it) and the wireless access point MAC address stays at 44:44:44:44:44:44.

I have disabled WEP on both the card and router to rule that out of the equation. I'm using the correct ESSID and have tried to set it as "Managed" as well as "Ad-Hoc" and "Auto".

Has anyone else gotten this card to work with SuSE, or any other flavour of Linux? Much googling has gotten me little to no help, although I have tried *everything* I have come across. Please help!

My ifconfig of wlan0 (on DHCP) is:

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:E2:1B:31:78
inet6 addr: fe80::204:e2ff:fe1b:3178/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:98 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:10 Base address:0x100

Thanks in advance,

Jonathen