Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running Fedora and have a Java program that attempts to bind ports 162 and 165 (SNMP). It is unable to bind these ports and gets an exception which says ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Java program unable to bind ports

I'm running Fedora and have a Java program that attempts to bind ports 162 and 165 (SNMP). It is unable to bind these ports and gets an exception which says that "permission denied".

I have the software firewall turned off and am not running the snmptrapd service. The snmpd service is running, which binds to the agent port 161 - so no conflicts there. I see nothing already bound to ports 162 and 165 when I run netstat.

I found the hosts.allow file in the /etc directory, and tried putting this line into it: "ALL:ALL:ALLOW" from one of the help file examples - no effect on the errors.

Can anyone tell me what if any security mechanisms may be stopping my program from accessing these ports, and how I can configure things to let it run correctly?

Thanks - Dave

Linux Guru

Re: Java program unable to bind ports

Quote Originally Posted by davebp
    I'm running Fedora and have a Java program that attempts to bind ports 162 and 165 (SNMP). It is unable to bind these ports and gets an exception which says that "permission denied".

I have the software firewall turned off and am not running the snmptrapd service. The snmpd service is running, which binds to the agent port 161 - so no conflicts there. I see nothing already bound to ports 162 and 165 when I run netstat.

I found the hosts.allow file in the /etc directory, and tried putting this line into it: "ALL:ALL:ALLOW" from one of the help file examples - no effect on the errors.

Can anyone tell me what if any security mechanisms may be stopping my program from accessing these ports, and how I can configure things to let it run correctly?

Thanks - Dave
    Any program attempting to bind to a port below 1024 must be started as root for security. The idea was that a user on the box could not "killall sendmail" and then start their own version with "extra functionality" without having admin privs on the machine.

Jason

Jason

Just Joined!
    Jason - Thanks! That makes sense.

I can in fact get my program to work if I log on as root. Is there some clever way to accomplish the same thing from inside my run.sh shell script - without having to log on as root?

Dave

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Really all you can do is change the port the application listens on (so its > 1024).

Alternativly, if possible in java, start it as root, and get it to switch user once it has bound to the port.

Jason