Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have problem with network in gentoo linux. I installed gentoo from livecd where netwok was ok, I compiled kernel, reboot system and network doesn't work, although network cards ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

network problem

Hello,
    I have problem with network in gentoo linux.
    I installed gentoo from livecd where netwok was ok, I compiled kernel, reboot system and network doesn't work, although network cards seem tha they works.
    I configure it by ifconfig:
    ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0 up
    but network is unreachable.
    What can I do with it?
    Thank you for your advices

Are there other machines on the network in address range 10.x.x.x?

Is there a router or cable modem on the network that you are trying to connect through? If so, what is it's internal IP address? By convention, the router's IP address usually ends in ".1"--that's not required, but it might be that your address is clashing with the router or modem.

What is in the file /etc/sysconfig/network?

What do you see when you do the command 'ifconfig eth0'?

Just Joined!
    Yes, this computer is router and it has IP address 10.0.0.1 for inner network. In network there is 6 computers with ip address 10.0.0.x. This computer has two networks, one for inner network with IP address 10.0.0.1 and second one for internet due dsl modem with ip address which is getting by dhcpcd eth1.
    ifconfig eth0 says: eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 52:54:AB:19:5B:A9
    inet addr:10.0.0.1 Bcast:10.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:927 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:55780 (54.4 Kb) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:10 Base address:0xe800
    lspci | grep Ethernet says: 0000:00:12.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8029(AS)
    0000:00:13.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 01)

I have gentoo distribution with kernel 2.6.12.6 but same problem is in older kernel.
    In gentoo distribution there is not /etc/sysconfig/network file.

Ifconfig says RX packets:927, but TX packets:0. It's not even trying to transmit packets, which probably means the routing table isn't setup. To see the routing table, type the command:
    $ netstat -nr

It should have an entry something like this for your LAN:
    Code:
    10.0.0.0    0.0.0.0    255.0.0.0   U    0 0     0 eth0
    On my Mandriva system, that gets added because of the entries in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. I don't know how Gentoo does it, but it's probably very similar.

The routing table should also have a default route going to the DSL modem, something like this:
    Code:
    0.0.0.0     x.x.x.x    255.x.x.0   UG   0 0     0 eth1

Just Joined!
    thank you, at now it is ok. Problem was in marking of network cards. When I boot from gentoo live cd, inner network card is marked as eth0 and network card for internet as eth1. But after installing new system and compiling new kernel, it is reversely. Do you have idea why?

udev

udev.

When I upgraded my Linux system to Mandriva 2006 last year, I spent an entire work day trying to figure out why I had no network access. Udev had switched eth0 and eth1 willy nilly.

I did some research and ended up creating this file in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-ken.rules. (I x-ed out my MAC addresses here.) Now they always get named correctly.
    Code:
    # File: /etc/udev/rules.d/10-ken.rules
    # These rules insure that eth0 keeps it's name.
    # Note that the MAC addresses are case sensitive, so they must be entered
    # as displayed by udevinfo.
    #
    KERNEL="eth*", SUBSYSTEM="net", SYSFS{address}="00:11:11:8c:xx:xx", NAME="eth0"
    KERNEL="eth*", SUBSYSTEM="net", SYSFS{address}="00:11:11:00:00:8c:xx:xx", NAME="eth1"

Oops, that file was from my home system, where I have only one ethernet card. The second line is for something to do with some 1394 thing that apparently can be assigned an eth device.

The one at work has two lines with the shorter, 6-byte MAC address.