Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
OK. I managed to get smb to sort of work again. I can get to smb:/<workgroup>/<hostname>/ (smb:/mshome/jon-pc/)but cannot open any of the shared folders or files within those folders. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OK. I managed to get smb to sort of work again. I can get to smb:/<workgroup>/<hostname>/ (smb:/mshome/jon-pc/)but cannot open any of the shared folders or files within those folders. The shared folders (ie "SharedDocs") show up but when I try to open them it just sits there doing nothing. What is wrong?

Linux Newbie
    If you want to try to access your winxp shares use smbclient for it.

Try this:

smbclient -L //IP_ADRES_WINXP_BOX

If I'm right Winxp wants you to give your password.

Or try smbclient -L //IP_ADRES_WINXP_BOX -U username

If it works well you'll see the shares of your Winxp machine.

Which version of Samba do you use. Because the earlier versions of Samba have more problems with Winxp than 3.0.x or later.
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

Just Joined!
    Here's what I get:

Code:
    &#91;jon@localhost jon&#93;$ smbclient -L //192.168.0.1
    added interface ip=192.168.0.36 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
    session request to 192.168.0.1 failed &#40;Called name not present&#41;
    session request to 192 failed &#40;Called name not present&#41;
    Password&#58;
    Domain=&#91;MSHOME&#93; OS=&#91;Windows 5.1&#93; Server=&#91;Windows 2000 LAN Manager&#93;

Sharename      Type      Comment
            ---------      ----      -------
            E$             Disk      Default share
            IPC$           IPC       Remote IPC
            D$             Disk      Default share
            SharedDocs     Disk
            Shared &#40;E&#41;     Disk
            ADMIN$         Disk      Remote Admin
            C$             Disk      Default share

Server               Comment
            ---------            -------
            JON-PC               Jon's Main PC

Workgroup            Master
            ---------            -------
            MSHOME               JON-PC
            MYGROUP              LOCALHOST
    &#91;jon@localhost jon&#93;$
    I found the IP address through the STATUS menu of my LAN connection in XP. I am not sure how to check the IP from Linux but I thought I found it and added it to the trusted sites in ZAPro. My whole network is already in the trusted zone though. Also, I am running Samba 2.2.8a-2 which is higher than the one that came with my distro. I will try to find a 3.X and get back to you.
    Thanks for helping.

Edit:
    Oh wait. I already downloaded a samba3.x but it is in tar.gz format and I was having trouble compiling/installing it. Could you give a quick lesson on how to compile and install it plz ? And a few questions to start: Does the .tar.gz file have to be in a certain location before it is untarred (I dunno if that's what it's called but you probably get my idea). Does the source have to be in a certain location? What DIR do I run ./compile , make , make install, and whatever ever else I need to run in?
    Thanks again.
    --Jon

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba/install.html

Here you will find the installation of the latest samba version. If you need more information contact me on my msn or icq.

Code:
    mount -t smbfs -o workgroup=MY_WORKGROUP,username=MY_USERNAME,password=MY_PASSWORD,user //IP_OF_SHARE/SHARE_NAME /mnt/MOUNT_POINT

Linux Newbie
    I think it's easier for someone who's working with Winxp to use Samba 3.0.x or later

Just Joined!
    Windows XP Pro uses SMB packet signing by default. To mount shares using smbmount, you must disable packet signing through the registry. Alternatively, you can leave packet signing on and compile a new (2.6.x) kernel with the CIFS (newer name for SMB) client built-in. You can then download the mount.cifs helper utility from samba.org and mount shares that way (more securely). It is probably easier for you to use the registry hack, so on your WinXP machine open regedit, navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NetLogon\Parameters
    and change
    "RequireSignOrSeal"=dword:00000001
    to
    "RequireSignOrSeal"=dword:00000000

P.S. if you like the alternative CIFS client, I have a document on enabling that (using Slack 9.1) at:
    http://oslabs.mikro-net.com/mcifs.html
    Hope this helps.

Linux Newbie
    That's not always helping. I've used it personly also this option, but this packet signing is not always the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by s00th
    Windows XP Pro uses SMB packet signing by default. To mount shares using smbmount, you must disable packet signing through the registry. Alternatively, you can leave packet signing on and compile a new (2.6.x) kernel with the CIFS (newer name for SMB) client built-in. You can then download the mount.cifs helper utility from samba.org and mount shares that way (more securely). It is probably easier for you to use the registry hack, so on your WinXP machine open regedit, navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NetLogon\Parameters
    and change
    "RequireSignOrSeal"=dword:00000001
    to
    "RequireSignOrSeal"=dword:00000000

P.S. if you like the alternative CIFS client, I have a document on enabling that (using Slack 9.1) at:
    http://oslabs.mikro-net.com/mcifs.html
    Hope this helps.
    I have heard people go on about this registry hack i would not use it i have never seen anyone need it to get there shares working.

Just Joined!
    The registry hack is _only_ for WinXP_ and you _will_ need it to use smbmount because smbmount _does_not_ support packet signing. Samba 3.0.x's smbclient will use packet signing when it has to, that's why the registry hack isn't necessary when using it to access winshares. What the original question was here is _mounting_ a share using _smbmount_ (mount -t smbfs) and I will repeat myself one more time, WinXP uses packet signing by default and smbmount does not support it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast