Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have Red Hat 9 installed on my notebook and WinXP on my desktop. I have some shared files on my desktop. I can get to the root of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't Access WinXP Shares ...

I have Red Hat 9 installed on my notebook and WinXP on my desktop. I have some shared files on my desktop. I can get to the root of the shares:

smb:/jon-pc (jon-pc is the name of my xp machine)

but if I try to go past that (ie to "SharedDocs" or "Shared (E)") Konqueror just sits there and does nothing (the little icon thing spins forever). I've tried using smbclient commands in the terminal and messing with the smbpasswd file (I think I messed that up ... can anyone tell me how to fix the smbpasswd file?) and I still haven't got past that. Also, Konqueror never asks me for a username or password (as nautilus used to) so could that be the problem?

Can someone tell me what files I need to edit and how to set them up on either machine to get my shares working? I also have no idea how to share items with the XP machine from the RH machine.

Yes, I am a noob. :P Thanks for the help.

As far as accessing the WinXP shares, I'm not sure what's going on. I've never had a problem with smb:// in Konqeror.

As far as sharing from a Linux box to a Windows box, you can setup an ftp server, use nfs or use samba. The possibilities are endless. The "Windows way" is to use samba. YOu can find samba and more information on setting up a samba server at http://www.samba.org.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    I just filled in the address bar in Konqueror this way:

smb:/<workgroup>

with <workgroup> being the name of my home LAN group, and the computers showed up as directories named after the hostnames of the computers. I then just clicked on the directory of the winxp computer, and voila! I was connected to the shared folder of the winxp computer right from Konqueror.

Note: there is only one slash before the workgroup name. Oh, and don't put in the < and > brackets in! They were only to show that the 'workgroup' name was for illustration purposes only!

Hope this helps.

P.S. I'll admit that connecting to a windoze box from Konqueror this way is a bit flaky.

Just Joined!
    Addendum: I found that putting the names of the host in front of the workgroup name like what you see below seems to help:

smb:/<workgroup>/<hostname>

with <hostname> being ALL lower case letters.

<sic>

Just Joined!
    Yet another addendum: if you have a firewall such as zone alarm on your windows boxes, you'll need to configure it to accept connections from the samba box!

Just Joined!
    And how would I configure Zone Alarm on my Windows box? I already have my LAN set as a "trusted" zone (which I assume means no firewall on it). Red Hat also sets up a firewall, what settings should I use with it?

Just Joined!
    Just find out what the IP addy is of the red hat lap top. If it's on your LAN, then it's probably 192.168.1.xxx. You just have to make sure zone alarm has that particular addy in its trusted zone. Not sure about how to do the firewall in red hat. It depends on what GUI front end you are using and/or whether you do IPTABLES straight from the command line.

I've yet to sit down and learn exactly how to configure IPTABLES, yet. But it is one of my projects for the very near future.

Cheers

Just Joined!
    Now when I try to access smb shares it tells me that it cannot find an smb server on this host. This is after a complete reinstall of rh9 and I updated samba with a new RPM.

Just Joined!
    When you reinstall rh 9, you pretty much already reinstalled Samba. And when you do that, you have to reconfigure the smb.conf file all over again from scratch. Or you can use the Swat program which is a browser GUI that makes configuring Samba a lot easier.

Now, I'm not an expert in Samba. I did just enough reading so far to get it to work for me in a basic way. I've bought the O'Reilly book on Samba, but haven't had a chance to finish it yet. I'm reading about four or five other books on Linux, too! Really learning and knowing Linux takes lots and lots of practice and lots and lots of reading.

Cheers.

You dont need to touch the smb.conf unless you are running the server. Since he isnt he is only using the client he should not have to reconfigure his smb.conf

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast