Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
When i acces "computers near me" and, so, when i acces a computer from my local network (they all have windows as operating systems) it request me a password although ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

accessing computers - have to provide passwords

When i acces "computers near me" and, so, when i acces a computer from my local network (they all have windows as operating systems) it request me a password although it isn`t proteceted.The strange thing is that anything i type in user name and password fields is good !!! I usually connect to other computers with user "a" and password "a" Strange but true What`s the problem?!
    Another thing is that the other computers can`t acces me! Not that i want to, but...

Linux Engineer
    what with microsoft being so stingent with security and all you must actualy press "cancel" whhen prompted for any usernam/password you will then have root acces to the windows system... This microsoft feature is to confuse and intimidade potential hackers.

Just Joined!
    It`s not quite that simple ... Pressing "cancel" won`t give tha acces to that computer.And what about the other problem, the one that others can`t acces me?
    Please, i want to understand as much as i can how linux works, esspecialy this part of networking!

Linux Guru
    Are you saying that you can get into the windows boxes with any username/passwd or was that a typo? If it was true, then windows is even worse than I was under the impression of...

As for they not being able to access you, you have to run a SMB server in order for them to do that. SMB is the protocol that Windows uses for file and printer sharing. The de-facto standard SMB server for Linux is called Samba. You can, of course, also set up a FTP or HTTP server instead, if you just want them to be able to get files.

Just Joined!
    Yes!!!I can acces their computers with any user/password i want, but only for those who aren`t protected!The thing is that i don`t want anymore to type nonsense user names and passwords!
    As for the other problem of mine i can tell you that i`m running the samba server but ...it`s useless.I pinged me from other comp from the network and it gave me a reply but not the one i expected - it gave me 10.13.12. , and should send me 10.13.11. . And it seems like i don`t exist - i don`t apear in their network. As for me, my linux shows me that my ip is 10.13.11.XXX.
    I can`t understand anymore

Linux Guru
    The reason that the windows computers can't access you might be because you're running a firewall. Did you set up a firewall when installing Linux?

Just Joined!
    yes, i have installed one, but this isn`t a reason why they can`t see my computer.Anyway i tried without the firewall too and it was the same thing...

Linux Guru
    Actually, it would be a reason why they couldn't see your computer, since the firewall would block their attempts to discover you. In any case, if it doesn't work without the firewall, that's probably not the reason anyway.

Check so that the Samba servers really are running:
    Code:
    ps -lp $(/sbin/pidof nmbd smbd)
    Also, check your /etc/samba/smb.conf so that you are in the same domain/workgroup as the other computer. Also, does this network have a PDC?

Just Joined!
    I don`t know to much linux but i`ve checked that file (smb.conf) many times before you say.That`s nothing wrong with it !!!
    About the code you gave ...this was the reply:
    ps: error: List of process IDs must follow -p.
    usage: ps -[Unix98 options]
    ps [BSD-style options]
    ps --[GNU-style long options]
    ps --help for a command summary
    And ...sorry but i don`t know what`s a PDC.

Linux Guru
    If you get that response, then it would seem as if your Samba servers actually aren't running. Try starting them manually and see if that makes any difference, by running these two commands:
    Code:
    nmbd -D
    smbd -D
    A PDC is a Primary Domain Controller in M$ terminology. Essentially the question boils down to: Do you have a SMB domain or a SMB workgroup?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast