Find the answer to your Linux question:
Here is my problem... I am using Putty (v.0.53 now) for a long time and didn't had any problem until lately, when I tried to access my server from work ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Angry Putty... Network error : Connection refused

Here is my problem...

I am using Putty (v.0.53 now) for a long time and didn't had any problem until lately, when I tried to access my server from work !
    The only thing I did, was to make the same settings as I was home.
    Except this...

Home IP : 192.168..... bla bla
    Work IP : 212.23..... bla bla

Of course I have forward ports from the router to the server .
    Port : 22 (I have also tried ports : 5900 , 22122)

So, when I am inside my network at home everything works fine !
    When I am at work I get this error...

Network error : Connection refused

I did some search and I found this...

This error means that the network connection PuTTY tried to make to your server was rejected by the server. Usually this happens because the server does not provide the service which PuTTY is trying to access.
    Check that you are connecting with the correct protocol (SSH, Telnet or Rlogin), and check that the port number is correct. If that fails, consult the administrator of your server.

The last part was the most funny of all (... I am the administrator of the server !).

What the f*** is going on ?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks !!!

Were you trying to access your WAN or LAN address? I see above 192.168...... which is a LAN address and will not be accessible outside of your LAN, not to mention it's present on the majority of networks so you would most likely be accessing something at work. Also because your WAN IP will be subject to change I would suggest using a dynamic DNS service - www.dyndns.org or www.no-ip.com are two I have used.

So try accessing your WAN address - probably something like 212.23.x.x , you can check by going to whatismyip.com at home or looking at your router settings.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Were you trying to access your WAN or LAN address? I see above 192.168...... which is a LAN address and will not be accessible outside of your LAN, not to mention it's present on the majority of networks so you would most likely be accessing something at work. Also because your WAN IP will be subject to change I would suggest using a dynamic DNS service - www.dyndns.org or www.no-ip.com are two I have used.

So try accessing your WAN address - probably something like 212.23.x.x , you can check by going to whatismyip.com at home or looking at your router settings.
    Sorry !
    What I ment with...
    Home IP was what you called internal, private address !
    I am not trying to connect to this IP address.
    I am trying to connect to this IP address...

212.23..... bla bla

Are you behind any firewalls or proxy servers at work? If you are not sure try configuring the server to port 443, which is the SSL port and is usually left open. Rather it should be left open.

Just Joined!
    Maybe you should check your /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow files on the Linux box.

Just Joined!

Network Error : Connection Refused

Quote Originally Posted by Lone-wolf View Post
    Maybe you should check your /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow files on the Linux box.

Hi All,

I am trying to connect to my Linux system from my laptop (WINDOWS 7) through putty.

Following are the details that i have configured:

Linux System:

Given a static IP and connected to LAN.
    sshd server is running.
    Firewall is exempting port 22.

Windows system:
    Installed Putty

when i am trying to connect to Linux machine its giving me Network error: Connection refused message.

Note: I am able to ping to Linux system where as the opposite is not working.

I have also mentioned the IP address of client machine in hosts.allow file.

Tried a lot option but not able to connect... please help.

Kindly advice. Any help in this regards will be appriciated.

regards,
    Amulya