Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by ynguyen We are there... You need x-over cable for uplink... Just plug a straight through cable to one of the other ports that isn't designated as an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ynguyen
    We are there...

You need x-over cable for uplink...
    Just plug a straight through cable to one of the other ports that isn't designated as an uplink and you will be fine. Then, try connecting to the switch.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by shakumafu
    i can plug the cable that goes to my room(main computer) in the router and be connected. if i try to plug the switch that my computer is connected to into the router as uplink(for the switch) i dont get a connection. so put simply, my router doesnt seem to provide an uplink to any hub-type devices.

like i said before i am not using crossover cables. i would like to have both switches, as i am trying to get all 11 jacks (around the house) working

when i say y-cable, i mean a splitter cable, but that doesnt really matter, it just means that its taking up two spaces. and for switch/router specs:

switches:
    gigafast EZ800-S
    d-link DSS-5+

router:
    d-link DI-524
    We have to understand your problem first.

1) Your main cumputer<-------->router<DSL> = working fine ?
    2) Your Main computer<-------->switch<------->router<DSL> = not working?
    ------------
    If this is the way yo tried then I am 100% sure you need a x-over cable to connect b/w this switch and the router (If you have 2 sockets on the wall then you only need 1 cross cable from either switch to the socket or the router to the socket )

example:
    switch<--x_cable--->wall_socket1-----------------wall_socket2<---straight_thu--->router
    or
    switch<--straight_thu--->wall_socket1-----------------wall_socket2<---x_cable--->router.

NOTE:
    Some smart switch can detect the connection and will work with any cable you plug into...but your is not the case here

Some hub has special port (usually the last or the first port) marked as uplink or special switch on it to convert that port to uplink, if this is the case then you can use straight cable on this port.

Let me know how you go.

main comp<-straight cable->switch<-straight cable->dsl modem = working
    main comp<-straight cable->switch<-straight cable->router<-straight cable->dsl modem = not working

both of the switches autodetect uplink
    i have straight cables going out the switches to the ports in the wall(which go throughout the house) and have tried using a crossover cable from the router into one of the switches but it doesnt work:

main comp<-straight cable->switch<-xover cable->router<-straight cable->dsl modem = not working

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by shakumafu
    main comp<-straight cable->switch<-straight cable->dsl modem = working
    main comp<-straight cable->switch<-straight cable->router<-straight cable->dsl modem = not working

both of the switches autodetect uplink
    i have straight cables going out the switches to the ports in the wall(which go throughout the house) and have tried using a crossover cable from the router into one of the switches but it doesnt work:

main comp<-straight cable->switch<-xover cable->router<-straight cable->dsl modem = not working

You can not just simple daisy chain the router and router doesnt work like the switch

I am not living in US so I dont know your dsl system there well
    at where I'm living if we have 1 port modem then we need to install Client on the machine which connects to the modem for authentication and this computer will get 1 public IP assigned

If we get a wireless router modem then this modem router can NAT internal machines though the external interface, all authentication is done on this modem.

If your router support NAT (also DSL modem), then here is the example of IP diagram for you to understand.

your computer
    (192.168.1.10)
    dg=192.168.1.1
    ||
    ||
    ||
    (router interface1)
    |NAT|
    d/Gateway=10.10.10.2
    (router interface2)
    ||
    ||
    ||
    DSL internal (I am asumming you have your DSL is supporting NAT)
    ||
    ||(DSL NAT|
    ||
    DSL external interface (telephone line to ISP)
    Public IP assigned by ISP

i get what you are saying, it doesnt seem like i can chain any devices.

so what are you suggesting i do?

if i plug my internet into the router and enter my own ip in the address bar, i could probably adjust the router, but what do i change?

Just Joined!
    Is there any particular reason that requires you to use router 2 in your network? If you replace this router with a switch then all computers should work fine.
    -------
    It gets quite complicated if you put this router in b/w. In general the package needs to find the gateway (or router) if traffic is destinated to different network (or different subnet) in order to reach the destination.

I'll use my previous setup as an example.
    LAN1 = 192.168.1.0/25
    Default gateway = 192.168.1.1 (router1 interface1)

LAN2 - 10.10.10.0/24
    Default gateway = 10.10.10.1 (DSL modem internal)

(This will allow all your computers to get access to the internet)
    -----------------
    The computers in LAN1 will have no problem with communicating to computers in LAN2 (default gateway is pointing to the router therefore anything addressed to 10.10.10.X will be routed to the router then the router will route traffic to it second interface such as 10.10.10.2 then to appropriate IP )

However computers in LAN2 will route traffic to 10.10.10.1 if it is destnated to any of LAN1 addresses as the default is poiting to the DSL modem.

Basiclly the whole thing is just like 1-way traffic (have a look at "route add" command on the internet if you want to explore further with routing table)
    -----

I dont know if you can understand my explaination or not but this setup is quite complex, you really need to know what you are doing to make the whole thing to work.

your computer (LAN1)
    (192.168.1.10)
    dg=192.168.1.1
    ||
    ||
    ||
    (router interface1)
    |NAT|
    d/Gateway=10.10.10.2
    (router interface2)
    ||
    ||
    ||
    (LAN2)
    DSL internal (I am asumming you have your DSL is supporting NAT)
    ||
    ||(DSL NAT|
    ||
    DSL external interface (telephone line to ISP)
    Public IP assigned by ISP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2