Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
this is a general networking problem, not really linux related, but i figured i could still come here for help. i am trying to create a home network, both wired ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

general home networking/network sharing

this is a general networking problem, not really linux related, but i figured i could still come here for help. i am trying to create a home network, both wired and wireless where all the computers (linux and windows) can see each other and share files. i have 2 switches (which spread wired internet through the rest of the house) where all the computers can see each other, plugged into the dsl modem. also plugged into the modem is a router which supplies the laptops with a wireless connection. in the router is a y-cable, where the recieving end can see wireless computers.
    heres a sort-of diagram if that was too confusing

dsl modem->switch->house
    ->other switch -> house
    ->wireless router ->house

so my problem is, the computers that are being supplied internet through either of the two switches cannot see those being supplied through the router. i thought plugging the switches into the router would work, but it resulted in no connection(in the switches)

Linux Enthusiast
    Connect the DSL modem to the wireless router (plug in to WAN/Internet) port. Then you can daisy chain the switches, connecting your first switch to the router and your second swith to the first router and the third switch to the second router (so on and so forth). Your router is blocking access to those machines connected to it from the outside due to NAT. Try the above and report back.

Linux Enthusiast
    messed that up. I meant to say connect the modem to the wireless router and then connect the first switch to the router and the second switch to the first switch, followed by connecting the third switch to the second switch. make sense? I lost myself in the router/switch routine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i'm think i get what u mean, if you meant i should plug it in like this:

dsl modem-> router-> first switch-> second switch

it doesnt work
    thanks for the reply though, i really dont have much of a clue to what i am doing. it seems that the router doesnt output any internet into anything plugged into it except for the y-cable

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by shakumafu
    this is a general networking problem, not really linux related, but i figured i could still come here for help. i am trying to create a home network, both wired and wireless where all the computers (linux and windows) can see each other and share files. i have 2 switches (which spread wired internet through the rest of the house) where all the computers can see each other, plugged into the dsl modem. also plugged into the modem is a router which supplies the laptops with a wireless connection. in the router is a y-cable, where the recieving end can see wireless computers.
    heres a sort-of diagram if that was too confusing

dsl modem->switch->house
    ->other switch -> house
    ->wireless router ->house

so my problem is, the computers that are being supplied internet through either of the two switches cannot see those being supplied through the router. i thought plugging the switches into the router would work, but it resulted in no connection(in the switches)
    firstly, can the computers in switch A and switch B be able to see each other?
    secondly, does computer in the wireless router see other computers which are connected to the other switches at all?
    if the answer is no for both then how do you configure IP address for those computer?

To clear it out, is you connection is like the disgram below?
    Do you use crossover cable to connect switches to the DSL modem?

wireless----->|
    switchA----->| =====><DSL modem>
    switchB ---->|

Can you specify each IP settings for computers on the wireless, switchA and SwitchB?

no, the switches can't see each other
    and the wireless computers cant see anything other than each other and the y-cable that is plugged into the router
    -----
    my internet is autoconfigured with dhcp if that is what you mean by configuring the ip address

my setup looks like the diagram you made and i do not use any crossover cables in my setup.
    how would i find the ip settings for my switches/router?

thanks for the help
    this problem is driving me nuts

Linux Enthusiast
    First of all, if your Router is running DHCP then plug the switches in like I previously explained. Start with the router and plug a computer in to see if you receive DHCP configuration(s). Then, move on down the line. Depending upon the number of computers you have, you may not need all those switches. One last thing, make sure that you are using straight through (patch) cables and not cross-over. All wannabe types make this mistake from time-to-time.

You refer to a Y-cable, I'm sorry, but what do you mean by "Y" cable. I've been networking for years and have never heard of a "Y" cable. It will also help if you describe your router and switches (i.e. make/model).

i can plug the cable that goes to my room(main computer) in the router and be connected. if i try to plug the switch that my computer is connected to into the router as uplink(for the switch) i dont get a connection. so put simply, my router doesnt seem to provide an uplink to any hub-type devices.

like i said before i am not using crossover cables. i would like to have both switches, as i am trying to get all 11 jacks (around the house) working

when i say y-cable, i mean a splitter cable, but that doesnt really matter, it just means that its taking up two spaces. and for switch/router specs:

switches:
    gigafast EZ800-S
    d-link DSS-5+

router:
    d-link DI-524

Just Joined!
    no, the switches can't see each other
    and the wireless computers cant see anything other than each other and the y-cable that is plugged into the router
    -----
    my internet is autoconfigured with dhcp if that is what you mean by configuring the ip address

my setup looks like the diagram you made and i do not use any crossover cables in my setup.
    how would i find the ip settings for my switches/router?

thanks for the help
    this problem is driving me nuts

Ok, we are getting there...

1) You dont really need to set IP address for your switches unless you want to manage them (not all switch can)
    2) Can any of your computer gets access to the internet at all?
    3) It sounds like there is no connection between switches to the modem, you need to use x-over cable to connect switch to switch ( or to modem router) this is called up link connection. computer to switch = use straight though cable, computer to computer = x-over

----------

This is how it works

ISP DHCP server<----->your modem external interface ----your modem internal interface--->your LAN

1) Your DSL internet interface gets IP from your ISP's DHCP server (1 public IP)

2) Your modem has it own DHCP engine to assgn to your internal LAN (not all modem, I'm assuming your is if your modem has wireless built-in)

To find out your computer IP
    From any computer if windows then go to dos>ipconfig what is it say? (if linux then open terminal then>ifconfig)

You should get similar IP setting with other computers except for the last number. if connect it right.

if your comp picks up an IP from the DSL modem then the default gateway setting on this machine is the internal IP of the modem

usually you can access this IP thougth IE from you computer.

Just Joined!
    i can plug the cable that goes to my room(main computer) in the router and be connected. if i try to plug the switch that my computer is connected to into the router as uplink(for the switch) i dont get a connection. so put simply, my router doesnt seem to provide an uplink to any hub-type devices.

like i said before i am not using crossover cables. i would like to have both switches, as i am trying to get all 11 jacks (around the house) working

when i say y-cable, i mean a splitter cable, but that doesnt really matter, it just means that its taking up two spaces. and for switch/router specs:

switches:
    gigafast EZ800-S
    d-link DSS-5+

router:
    d-link DI-524
    We are there...

You need x-over cable for uplink...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast