Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using a pentium 60 with linux red hat 6.2 as a router for my network. Because i have a pretty good connection ( for home ) 40 kb up/300 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unlocking Port

I'm using a pentium 60 with linux red hat 6.2 as a router for my network. Because i have a pretty good connection ( for home ) 40 kb up/300 kb down, i want to host a server so i can play with my friends. But for this game i need to unblock a certain port wich my server is blocking by default. How can i tell my server to unlock this port for in/outgoing data?

thx in advance

Linux Guru
    Well, that depends what kernel version you are using. If you don't know, check with the `uname -r' command.

Just Joined!
    uname -r gives:
    2.2.14-5.0

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Oh, so you're still using the 2.2 kernel... that's a bit problematic for me, since it uses ipchains, and I really don't remember much about that (it is since long obsolete). IIRC, the program to tunnel ports through is called ipfwadm, but I don't know that for sure, and I certainly don't remember how to use it.

Maybe someone else knows.

Just Joined!
    hope so

2 bad but thx for the trouble

Just Joined!
    Is there an easy way to update this kernel version? And are my settings still intact after this?

Linux Guru
    Well, I don't really know what the differences are between 2.2 and 2.4 in general, but to make optimal use of the relevant aspects of a 2.4 kernel, you would at the very least need to install iptables to use instead of ipchains, and that way your ipchains settings would also be unusable, and you'd have to remake them with iptables instead. If you go all the way to 2.6, you will also need to upgrade the module loading programs.

Just Joined!
    ok.. so basiclly the best thing i could do is to find a guide for IIRC, if there r any around. And if not it would be wise to install the newest red hat ( with the superior programs )

Linux Guru
    Which might of course be a good idea in any case. =)

Just Joined!

unblock ports on linux

hi guys,

I need to unblock certain ports on a linux server, how do i go about doing that? i need to unblock them becoz i wanna play counter strike and trackmania online, but it wont let me connect.
    Could someone please tell me how to get around this or unblock them, is there a program that can do it or what?

Thanks