Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
ignore phpbb for a moment as that's complicating things. on the router you have set up port forwarding yes? you may need to do a few more things depending on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

hardware router

ignore phpbb for a moment as that's complicating things.

on the router you have set up port forwarding yes? you may need to do a few more things depending on the router.
    first things first - can you ping the external IP address of your router?
    if so can you visit the external address of your router using http? opening the http port on the router should forward the request to your pc - so you should see some kind of apache welcome page.

I disagree with dolda on the hardware firewall issue. I've used a few different ones now and all allow ip tunnels and port forwarding to be set up. In fact all of the ones I've used have worked out of the box. Although I will say that getting firestarter working on my fedora box was as easy as installing it and clicking a NEXT 3 times.

focus on getting this working first. there are always ways of getting the other bits working. if there is a setting in phpbb that needs to have an absolute address coded in then use a different bb system or write your own.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Re: hardware router

Quote Originally Posted by kpzani
    write your own.
    Have you ever seen how much code there is in phpBB that would be one big job Plus not everyone can code. He has his web server working he just cannot access his phpBB when putting his own IP in the browser if he is on the LAN but from outside it is fine. Re-read the question

Linux User

sorry

apologies for misreading the question. although i am still not 100% sure that he means he can access his webserver from the outside and that it's just phpbb thats failing.

in terms of how much code is in phpbb. that's true its massive. but for most people its also a massive overkill. if all he wants is a small message board with a tables for users, forums, messages (and poss responses to keep them separate) then creating you own is not really a problem.

We are not talking about learning anything massively complex. With a bit of spare time anyone can learn to program enough for this.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2