Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have scoured forums in the past week and found that back when people actually tried using this card it gave them alot of pain. Not to fear, Sam is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

HowTo Install D-link DWL-G120 on Ubuntu Linux 6.06 LTS [Guide]

I have scoured forums in the past week and found that back when people actually tried using this card it gave them alot of pain. Not to fear, Sam is here, and I've written a guide for 2 reasons; one that I might need this info in the future, and two that it'd be nice for other fustrated people to use.

OK so this guide is how to get the DWL-G120 Rev B1 (Spinnaker) Wireless G Adapter to work.

1) Install ndiswrapper. Since this is Ubuntu 6.06, I used Synaptic APT Package manager to install ndiswrapper and ndisgtk (the GUI). Do whatever works. This is the easiest for Ubuntu users though.

2) Get your prism inf file and all the other files. Download the latest driver from d-link, and use the unshield tool. I installed the unshield tool with APT too, and remember to not only have the CAB files out but for successful unshield you need every file from that driver zip in 1 directory.

An easier way is to install the driver on windows XP. Then you can go to the hidden folder c:/windows/inf and get the inf file. get the sys file by searching. There is a file I dont know if it matters but I have it, called prismapi.dll that you might need. It is in a folder that may be hidden.

Download the files for your convienience at
    http://home.comcast.net/~geninblaze/PRISMA02.zip

If anyone can reupload and make some mirrors for this file that'd be great. If I'm ever to switch webhosts this link will stop working...

3) Use ndiswrapper to install the driver. I used the gtk (System -> Administration -> Windows wireless drivers) but you can use shell

Goto shell and type (if you havent already installed the driver)

Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i /whaterdirectoryitsin/prisma02.inf
    then

Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    (note: if it says alias already there or whatever, thats ok. ignore it. you didnt need this step.)

REBOOT NOW. IMPORTANTE.

===============================
    Then after ubuntu starts up again....get on shell.

Code:
    sudo -s (then enter your password if they prompt)
    vi -e /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    type the word "visual" (no quotes of course), then press letter "I" on your keyboard. It should say "Insert" on the bottom of your terminal. Go to the end of your file and add 3 lines. They should say

Code:
    blacklist islsmusb
    blacklist islsm
    blacklist islsm-usb
    then hit "esc" key. Then type

Code:
    :w
    this writes your file.

Code:
    :q
    this quits vi.

Ok now reboot with your card plugged IN (and dont worry it wont read eth1, it'll call your device wlan0. If you dont understand what this means, ignore me and do what I say). Go to system->administration->networking, enter your pswd, configure wlan0, and you're good to go.

Known Problem
    Ok if your internet stops working all of a sudden and your card has no lights and stuff, reboot. It happens I think because of inactivity on the net. Its all you can do. Sorry. Anyone with a solution to this please tell me

Just Joined!
    This is sure to help a lot of people!

How does connecting to your local wireless network differ when using a USB receiver instead of a card? I am using the D-Link DWL-G122/C1 USB receiver and am not having much luck connecting. Since I can only connect on my windows side (I'm running a dual-boot), I need to keep rebooting back and forth between XP and Xubuntu 7.04!

What can I do to get some results, keeping in mind I'm running a fresh copy of Xubuntu with no extra programs or anything other than what installed off the CD?

Well

It doesnt differ. I'm assuming you're talking about a USB wireless card vs. a PCI wireless card?

I dont know the specifics about the g122 but if you cant connect on linux you probably need drivers and stuff.