Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I have been trying out Ubuntu and Fedora recently and have come across a problem. We have Windoze 2003 terminal servers at work and I connect to these ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What's the best Remote Desktop app?

Hello everyone,

I have been trying out Ubuntu and Fedora recently and have come across a problem. We have Windoze 2003 terminal servers at work and I connect to these regulary for maintainance from home.

The default Remote Desktop app (rdesktop I believe) included with both distro's keep's crashing (maybe this is tsclient, not rdesktop) when I log out of the remote session. There is also no ability to minimise a remote desktop connection (It can be done in Windoze Remote Desktop). I regulary log onto two or three servers at a time for program updates.

Is there a better (and free!) rdesktop frontend or remote desktop viewer anywhere that I can use?

Have you tried KDE's krdc? It's a nice package that supports multiple protocols, can easily switch between fullscreen/windowed (with regular windowing options available, such as minimizing, resizing, etc.), and can scale the remote image to fit your window/screen.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!

krdc

Thanks for the suggestion. I've just tried to fire up krdc in knoppix on a spare PC I have lying around here at work. I can't make it connect for some reason.

I type "rdp:/<server address>" which allows me to select "connect". It then asks me the colour and resolution preferences for the remote desktop window, then it says "Connection attempt to host failed".

I can ping the server fine, and rdesktop works fine from command line. I'm still in noobsville and not up to working in command line yet. I'll do a bit more reading and see what that problem with krdc could be.

EDIT: Gargh, trying to connect to the wrong server. It's working great now, can't wait to try it on my fedora box.

Thanks Zelmo

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close