Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hmmm. Despite looking through a huge number of posts and Googling til my fingers bleed, I still cannot connect if I give Squid the 'magic word(s)' in iptables. The line: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Squid configure prevents everything!

Hmmm. Despite looking through a huge number of posts and Googling til my fingers bleed, I still cannot connect if I give Squid the 'magic word(s)' in iptables.

The line:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3128

prevents all access.

If the above line is commented out, lotsa access!

A little hint please?

Setup:
    A bunch of computers---router---eth1-Squid and firewall box (Linux)-eth0---Internet
    Thanx in advance!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking
    The line:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3128

Setup:
    A bunch of computers---router---eth1-Squid and firewall box (Linux)-eth0---Internet
    It seems to me that you are trying to setup a transparent proxy, I guess to forbid access to some URLs.

If that's the case, please first check your squid is running ok by configuring manually the proxy settings in a computer inside your LAN.
    If this works correctly, the above "iptables..." line should get you working without problems.
    Remember that if you have squid authentication enabled this scheme (transparent proxy) doesn't work.

Hope this helps.

Red face

kaneda:

Thanx for the quick response. The one word in your post, 'transparent', triggered a landslide in my head and I now have squid up, running and doing what I expect. (non-transparent) Looking back, I shoulda thought of it a little more.

Thanx again, keep your stick on the ice!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close