Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, My question is about the time a linux system takes to boot. The only problem i have is that if a system is configured to work with a LAN ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

ethernet connection during bootup wireless hang / pause

Hi,

My question is about the time a linux system takes to boot. The only problem i have is that if a system is configured to work with a LAN via cable/wireless and if the ethernet cable is not connected or wireless connection does not establish for whatever reason, then as soon as the linux boot sequence reaches tcp/ip configuration it keeps on trying to establish a connection. It takes like good 3-4 minutes untill it goes ahead with the sequence with an error message.

And if the network device configuration is configured to work with the wireless adapter then u have guessed it right .... yes it takes up extra 5-6 minutes to boot.

Any technique to avoid this delay? if for some reason the system is not connected to ethernet cable or wireless connection is not working. Any special combination of keys to hit to escape the long attempts of the system to establish LAN connection during bootup?

I have tried to install linux on a centrino notebook with intel video chipset. The problem with the graphics chip and its driver is a separate long issue which i do not want to discuss right now (cuz i found a patch for now untill all the distributions start using the xfree86 4.xx).

The intel wireless adapter has no drivers for now. And i used the trial version of NDIS driver for intel wireless adapter. It works fine if i do not enable WEP encryption in my wirless access point and 4-port switch router. But when i enable WEP enryption in my router and type in the exact proper key in my linux system it does not work.

[Hopefully intel will release the drivers for the wirless of centrino systems within 2-3 months from now].

Linux Guru
    CTRL-C works for me in Debian when i dont have my network cable plugged in.

Jason

Linux Newbie
    Ctrl+C is not working in Fedora Core. Does anyone familiar with Redhat/Fedora knows the equivalent keys?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close