Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi again, I'm trying to have all the root mails forward to my home email address, for ease of archiving etc. I've put a .forward file in the root folder, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mail forwarding from root

Hi again,

I'm trying to have all the root mails forward to my home email address, for ease of archiving etc.

I've put a .forward file in the root folder, and chmod 677 on it. (Also tried chmod 600). The file contains my home email address.

However! Can someone please tell me where to specify my SMTP details? Because naturally, the mails arent forwarding to me properly, since it has no idea where to get the smtp details from. I use SuSE 10.1.

If there's anything else that I also need to do for it to work, please tell me

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Sorted it out. Was too much hassle doing the masquerading, so installed dovecot and am just POP3'ing my root mail off the server now..

Are you running Sendmail? If so, just take a look in your /etc/mail/aliases file, you specify in there where root's mail goes to. And dont forget to run 'newaliases' as root if you change it.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/