Find the answer to your Linux question:
I believe my 10/100 network card to be running only at 10Mbps. I know it's a 10/100Mbps card as i got it out of a sealed box! and the switch ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

10 or 100Mbps

I believe my 10/100 network card to be running only at 10Mbps. I know it's a 10/100Mbps card as i got it out of a sealed box! and the switch it's connected to is a 10/100 switch, so no problem there, i ran mii-tool it said:

Code:
    eth0:10Mbps, Half duplex, link ok
    This to me sez it's connected only at 10Mbps, not 100. The computer's runnin Slack 9.1, and it's recognizes the card as a RTL8139 and is usin the RTL8139too driver, why's it only connecting at 10Mbps?
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Assuming you've tried the basic networking troublshooting stuff, your post reads as though the card and switch are failing at auto-negotiating at 100 then do the typical step down to 10 and try to negotiate again but are successful.

I've had some 10/100 cards that just won't sync at 100. If the user really needs 100 then you can try to change the card to a different mfg. perferabiltily to the same mfg as your switch or what ever brand works best with the rest of your net.

I forgot what your linux machine is doing, but unless its a heavily used server, 10 will do for most lite weight server stuff (email, proxy, samba etc..) but die on video conferencing etc...
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Well, the card is actually in my server, so could do with a bit os bandwidth! As it happens, the network card and switch are the same manufacturer..... I got a mate told me how to sort it last night though.

Code:
    mii-tool --force 100baseTx-FD eth0
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327