Find the answer to your Linux question:
At my school, you can only access the internet through the computer's which have been specifically networked to the system, I think it has something to do with a proxy ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting through proxy

At my school, you can only access the internet through the computer's which have been specifically networked to the system, I think it has something to do with a proxy server, I have found the proxy address which is something like proxy.wentworth.school.nz and if I put this into my network configuration in mandriva control center will I be able to access the internet from my laptop? But will I have to remove the proxy to use the internet back at home again?

yes.. thats how a proxy server works.. Internet traffic is only allowed to certain machines (ie: servers pdc/bdc etc etc.) via your schools router. Then internet traffic is redirected thru the proxy. It is easier to maintain a proxy server rather than an ACL from a router. You would have to find out what port the proxy is running on.. I'd suggest trying port 80 and port 8080. And then after returning home you would indefinately have to reset your browsers settings.

Just Joined!
    If I got through the proxy will I have the same internet restrictions as a normal user? i.e when I try to get onto this site from a school computer it says this site has been blocked because it is in the category message/bulliten boards

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yes, as the sites are blocked at the proxy rather than according to the machine's policy. This makes it less prone to interference as a side effect.