Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I currently running a Fedora Core 4 server with two NIC. eth 1 is connected to an ADSL router. The ADSL router is run in bridged mode. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Linux office gateway

Hi

I currently running a Fedora Core 4 server with two NIC.

eth 1 is connected to an ADSL router. The ADSL router is run in bridged mode.
    I have managed to setup an adsl connection via adsl-setup and ifup ppp0 works
    fine the linux box surfs and works fine

eth0 is attached to a hub. The Fedora server is running dhcpd and issues ip to
    all machines on the network.

My question is, I want the client machines connected via eth0 and hub, to be able to
    surf via the ppp0 adsl connection. I have added the ip masquerading to the ppp0
    connection and /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward is set to 1.

Do I need to add routing rules to get eth0 to forward internet request to the ppp0
    or do I need to do something to the iptables.

General Information.

eth1 = ip 192.168.1.250
    eth0 = ip 196.31.154.62
    ppp0 = ip dynamic from ISP, ISP also sets DNS upon connecting.
    adsl router = ip 192.168.1.254, running bridged

dhcpd = Gives ip's in range 196.31.154.10 - 196.31.154.60 with router option set to 196.31.154.62

One more question. If I try to go to www.google.com via one of the windows clients
    which is connected to hub with dhcp set. Is there a way to check if the Linux box has received the request and where it sends it to ?

If anybody can help, I'd really appreciate it. I not linux guru but I would like to try and make this work.

Linux Enthusiast
    Just download Firestarter for this task. It will integrate seemlessly with your intended setup and will remove a lot of the guess work. For an easier setup, make the entire box a firewall appliance by using either Smoothwall or IPCop. Either of these firewall distros will suffice and will provide detailed logging for inbound and outbound TCP/IP traffic.

this is all handled thru ip masquerading on iptables.. but if i could suggest an easier, faster, and better managable solution.. why not setup a proxy server? I have one on a my slackware server here at work called "middleman." Works very well. If you don't want to do that then we can help you with the masquerading rules.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close