Find the answer to your Linux question:
After working flawlessly forever, my ethernet connection crapped out today. It happened after I unplugged my computer (not knowing it was my computer's plug) and restarted it. This kind of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

SOLVED: Stumped by lost network connection

After working flawlessly forever, my ethernet connection crapped out today. It happened after I unplugged my computer (not knowing it was my computer's plug) and restarted it. This kind of situiation is common enough, since we lose power every time it rains, but this is the first time anything has gone wrong after an unclean shutdown.

So anyway, I booted and noticed my news ticker wasn't working. A check of ifconfig showed that eth0 was configured with the usual static address, but I couldn't ping anything, including my router. I did ifdown, changed the config to DHCP, and called ifup. Dhclient went through a never-ending cycle of DHCPDISCOVER, DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.1 (my router), 2-3 lines of DHCPREQUEST, and back to DHCPDISCOVER again.

My router shows a light for my computer's ethernet connection, and the ehternet port on my computer is also lit, so it looks like the physical connection is still good. Plus, the DHCPOFFER from my router indicates that signals are getting through, so I don't expect it's a driver thing.

There's nothing unusual in dmesg or syslog, except a line saying there's no IPv6 routers present (but honestly, I'm not sure that's unusual). I long ago told /etc/modutils/aliases not to load IPv6, but lsmod shows that it's loaded, and trying to remove it doesn't work because it's being used. Still, that's been the case for quite some time, and hasn't been a problem before. So I'm stuck.

To sum up: With my usual static config I get no connection, can't even ping my router. With DHCP, it cycles through trying to get an address assigned, but never receives a DHCPACK. Any ideas on what I should be looking for?
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Well, disregard this thread. It turned out to be my Linksys router flaking out in a way it's not done before.

I booted up a Mepis live CD to do some diagnostics, and during boot it went through the same DHCP cycle as my installed Debian. So I figured it was a hardware thing after all, and feared I might have to replace my NIC (which, honestly, would give me an excuse to get a better motherboard and CPU, except I can't afford it right now). But starting with the easy stuff, I cycled power to my router, did ifdown and ifup in Mepis, and got an address right away. I rebooted into my installed Debian system and it too was happy as a clam.

I'd seen my wireless clients lose their connection from time to time on this and my previous Linksys router, but this is the first time my wired desktop had any router trouble. I'll have to remember this.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Linux Enthusiast
    Exactly the same thing happened to me last weekend with Debian testing (Linux debian 2.6.16-2-686 #1 Sat Jul 15 21:59:21 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux). Live CD worked, Mac worked, but Debian - no way. I had to reset my router to factory defaults and then configure again.
    Edit: and my router is Linksys too.