Find the answer to your Linux question:
my DSL modem isn't supported by linux. But I need to get on internet through linux. So ... I put the modem in another computer, running windows XP pro, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

connect linux through winXP machine

my DSL modem isn't supported by linux. But I need to get on internet through linux. So ...

I put the modem in another computer, running windows XP pro, and hooked up my linux computer onto the winXP one, that is a crossed network cable from ethernet to ethernet cable.

How do I set up my linux computer to be able to acess the internet? I already turned on the internet sharing thing in winXP. I'm a total linux newb btw, and for sure in networking stuff.

Little help?

edit: btw, I did google, but there is too much information on the subject, and I really can't quite find a good guide or howto for this. -_-

edit2: forgot to mention this, I'm running the latest version of Kubuntu

Linux Engineer
    easiest thing for you to do would be to get a cheap router, that way both xp and linux machine will be on at the same time without any headache.

the router works when the modem doesn't

though that's probably true, that doesn't quite answer my question or help me with the given problem Thanks for the reply though!

I'm not willing to put any money in this. I mean ... isn't this as simple as it can get? a windows machine on internet, and a linux one that needs to be on the same internet _through_ that windows machine ...

I just don't know how to do it ...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Nevermind, I figured it out ^_^