Find the answer to your Linux question:
The problem is that if I connect directly to the Comcast modem the internet works fine. But when I connect thorough the WRT54g router, the network is not working. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network through router not working

The problem is that if I connect directly to the Comcast modem the internet works fine. But when I connect thorough the WRT54g router, the network is not working. I tried using automatic configuration and static IP address. Under windoes XP evertything works fine. Will I have to upload some special firmware to my router so that it works on linux as well. The firewall is off.

Just Joined!
    I have comcast err.. time warner.. whatever.. and that exact router and I found with my modem that I have to unplug it, push in the reset button and hold, then plug back in, then release rest button to manually reset the cable modem.
    The reason for this I guess is that there modems register the MAC address of the ethernet card and then wont allow a different one to connect - just a guess but this is what I do to switch my modem between my computer and router when neccesary.

Just Joined!
    But you see, I have both LInux and Windows on one machine. So I can run only one system at a time. In the router configuration I have check "Clone PC's MAC address. So when I run linux it is using the same Ethernet address since it is on the same machine. Unless in Linux it's different.

Just Joined!
    It would be the same mac address. Like I said, that was just a guess as to why I couldnt get the modem to work with any other network card.

Have you tried reseting the modem yet? Make sure the router is set to recieve a dhcp address from the modem, and it needs to be set to act as a dhcp server for the machines connecting to it.

Just Joined!

Question

I have NO Internet connection on my Linux Desktop Dell running RH9, laptop Compaq Armada m 700, and my Toshiba laptop dual-boot with RH-9 and WinXP.
    However, when I ran WinXP on the Toshiba laptop w/ dual boot, I have the connection.

I dual-boot the RH9 Linux for the Toshiba laptop with direct connection to the Comcast Cable modem and still no Internet connection. However, if I login as root user and checked the Network dialog. It reported the ip address.

Should I get a new Cable Modem???

Ricktran