Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I'm a noobie to linux and could really use some help getting my wireless card working with ndiswrapper. I've already installed ndiswrapper and got the driver for my NetGear ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ndiswrapper problems

Hey,

I'm a noobie to linux and could really use some help getting my wireless card working with ndiswrapper.

I've already installed ndiswrapper and got the driver for my NetGear WG511 wireless card but whenever I try to add the driver under root using the -i <.inf file> command ndiswrapper says 'couldn't copy <.inf file location> to usr/sbin/ndiswrapper at line 144'. Then I get a corrupted version of the driver installed in ndiswrapper.

I'm pretty sure I have the right driver and my ndiswrapper installation is good and I can't figure out what's going on!

Please help!

Which version of the .inf file are you using? Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right Windows version of the driver from either Win9X, WinME, Win2K and WinXP. Try one of the others. From experience my chipset's driver works with XP and 2K .inf files but won't install under 9X or ME. Check numbers 36 through 51 - Card: Netgear WG511 on this page.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 09-04-2006 at 10:07 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

I tried a bunch of other drivers, most of which installed fine but none of them detected my card.

The list you showed me pointed to the default driver that my card came with and, although the 'error at line 144' dealy stopped coming up, ndiswrapper is still saying it's an invalid driver when I try to install it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Is there more to it than just installing ndiswrapper and the driver? Do I have to download anything else?

If anybody knows somewhere that will explain to me in a very simple clear way how to get this dumb card working it would be much appreciated.

I just pointed you to the website that tells you everything you need to know. If you'd poked around a little you couldn't have helped but to find this.
    If you run into difficulty after following their instructions, post the problems you are having back here, and someone will be more than happy to help.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Sorry for not being clear enough, but I already have ndiswrapper installed and working, I just can't seem to find a driver that works with my card.

Anyway, I think my card might be supported by the prism54 driver so I'm not sure I'll need another one anyway.