Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, My IT class at school has a network of 17 machines plus a server. All the machines are running Fedora Core 5 and are wirelessly connected to a hub ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Network Chat

Hi,

My IT class at school has a network of 17 machines plus a server. All the machines are running Fedora Core 5 and are wirelessly connected to a hub (connected to the internet) and a server that runs XP Pro. What i want to know is, what would be the best way to chat between the Fedora Core 5 machines. I've tried several programs and none seem to work. This is sought of a requirement and semming as last year the class used XP, its new to all of us.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Regards, Simulator

pick any of the workstations and run an IRCD on it? then everyone can connect to that ip or hostname and chat away.

thanks for your reply. i've tried running an IRC server on the winodws machine and trying to connect to it from the Linux machines. Unfortuanatley it didn't work.

I'll try an IRCD thought.

Regards, Simulator

yea.. if ur just lookin for somethin easy for an internal school thing.. check out www.unrealircd.com .

thanks, i found that after a google search and downloaded it. I need some help in configuring it to run. The main .conf file is what is really bothering me.

Regards, Simulator

Unfortuantely UnrealIRCD didn not work. I think it could be the Netgear Wireless Router (WGR614) we are using. The problem being we cannot connect and change its settings. Any other ideas. Thanks.

Regards, Simulator