Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed redhat for the first time. It detected my card fine/correctly. I have it set for dhcp just like all the other computers in the house, (windows). Although ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Configuring Ethernet Card

I just installed redhat for the first time. It detected my card fine/correctly. I have it set for dhcp just like all the other computers in the house, (windows). Although this on is not working. Do I have to do anything besides set it to dhcp in the control panel? I'm running a linksys 4 port router.

Just Joined!

Re: Configuring Ethernet Card

Quote Originally Posted by Adman
    I just installed redhat for the first time. It detected my card fine/correctly. I have it set for dhcp just like all the other computers in the house, (windows). Although this on is not working. Do I have to do anything besides set it to dhcp in the control panel? I'm running a linksys 4 port router.
    Hi,

I assume you have checked the link and it is ok?
    Open a terminal and type /sbin/ifconfig - this will show your IP address. Now try to ping it and try to ping the gateway.

Regards,
    Jano

Just Joined!
    the only thing IP address is 127.0.0.1 but isn't that the default IP for localhost?

EDIT: Looking through the Redhat site, I found that if ifconfig says 'broadcast up' or something to that effect, the card is configured properly. If its configured right, how come I can't go on the net?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

jheaton

If you don't have any other IP addresses then 127.0.0.1 (loopback), then you're not on the network. Double-check your settings for eth0.