Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running a SME server that has an email proxy that won't let any decent size emails through & I get a 552 error mesage. Can somebody please help ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SMTP error, email size limit too small

I am running a SME server that has an email proxy that won't let any decent size emails through & I get a 552 error mesage. Can somebody please help me set the outgoing size limit to allow large files to be sent through the servers SMTP?

Linux Engineer
    you can modify config files to do that. Was running dovecot for awhile myself, and their 2m default limit was very frustrating. Their homepage's wiki has the line you should add to the config to change the size limit.

Others probably do as well.

Which email servers are you running, and maybe we can help you out a little more, rather than just saying its possible, read the manual .

I have links to great howto's and wikis for fixing that and other common problems running dovecot, postfix, and squirrelmail. Whats your setup?

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    you can modify config files to do that. Was running dovecot for awhile myself, and their 2m default limit was very frustrating. Their homepage's wiki has the line you should add to the config to change the size limit.

Others probably do as well.

Which email servers are you running, and maybe we can help you out a little more, rather than just saying its possible, read the manual .

I have links to great howto's and wikis for fixing that and other common problems running dovecot, postfix, and squirrelmail. Whats your setup?
    I am running the standard version of Mitel networks SME server 7.0. To be honest I don't know what email setup it uses. I did find a command line at contribs.org to increase the limit but I still have the error message. If you can give me a link for the manual (Or anything else I might need) I would be greatfull as I have only just entered the world of linux & find it difficult to locate exactly what I am looking for in the vast amount of information available. The exact error message is:

The message could not be sent because its size exceeded the server's limit. You can use the option, located in Tools | Accounts | Properties | Advanced, to break messages into smaller parts. Subject 'Pix', Account: 'Simon', Server: '10.0.6.1', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '552 We don't accept email with executable content [UEsDBBQAA].', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 552, Error Number: 0x800CCC6D

That is trying to send a zip file & I get the same trying to send jpg's & even on some html only emails. Breaking the file up does not work either & I have no option to use anything but outlook express here at work